cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default More Islamic insanity

In case you missed it:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa...ars/index.html
Old 11-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes we arrest people for naming their children or animals Joseph. I'm not hopeful Islam will ever lose its hyper-sensitivity and then threatening death or lashes.

Thank goodness none of us must live under such nonsense.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

It is insanity, but the lady should have been a little more aware of her cultural surroundings. Even I, who have never been to the Sudan or any other predominantly Islamic country, can figure out that you don't throw around the name Mohammed lightly.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What she did didn't deserve imprisonment or fear of bodily harm, and I would fight to the death for her right to do what she did. But how many Utahns would like their child's teacher to name a classroom stuffed bear Joseph Smith or Jesus Christ? I bet this would be worth a story on the cover of the local section of the Deseret News or Tribune on a slow day, at the very least.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
What she did didn't deserve imprisonment or fear of bodily harm, and I would fight to the death for her right to do what she did. But how many Utahns would like their child's teacher to name a classroom stuffed bear Joseph Smith or Jesus Christ? I bet this would be worth a story on the cover of the local section of the Deseret News or Tribune on a slow day, at the very least.
Joseph Smith wouldn't make it noticed but JC would. OTOH, many a Jewish comic has joked irreverently about Christ without ending up in jail.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree with you on the Jesus Christ reference, less so on the Joseph Smith reference. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Deseret Book introduced a Smithy Bear line with Joseph and Emma sold seperately. Brigham Young would obviously be a stuffed lion and Hyrum would be a lovable loyal dog.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I agree with you on the Jesus Christ reference, less so on the Joseph Smith reference. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Deseret Book introduced a Smithy Bear line with Joseph and Emma sold seperately. Brigham Young would obviously be a stuffed lion and Hyrum would be a lovable loyal dog.
I think it's more insane for someone to say God helped them win a football game than to get offended by somebody naming a stuffed bear after the most important religious figure of your faith. But that's just me.

It's not hard to match Islamic insanities with Mormon ones. The difference is that here we have a Bill of Rights so wacko religions can't burn people like me.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
and it wouldnot be the end of the story ,it would be the beginning. remember the virgin mary urinal story ???

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

(seems the page isnot up any more )
Old 11-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
I think it's more insane for someone to say God helped them win a football game than to get offended by somebody naming a stuffed bear after the most important religious figure of your faith. But that's just me.

It's not hard to match Islamic insanities with Mormon ones. The difference is that here we have a Bill of Rights so wacko religions can't burn people like me.
Hyperbole right on schedule.

Except for MMM, LDS have not exhibited violent tendencies. And Muslims violate this tenet in lands that don't recognize sharia, such as England or Japan where the Salaman Rushdie translated was murdered pursuant to fatwa.