cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Omaha shooting: unintended news consequences?

I'm sorry, but doesn't the attention this story is receiving (like VTech and others) simply goad other similarly-troubled people to do the same?

I mean, look at this image. Does this really need front-page CNN.com exposure?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm sorry, but doesn't the attention this story is receiving (like VTech and others) simply goad other similarly-troubled people to do the same?

No, it doesnot and Helen Thomas should watch her speech and visit graveyard more often or take time to prepare an impressive obituary instead.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Given the fact this bastard's suicide note said that he was hoping to go out on a wave of fame and publicity, I wish his name and photos would be eliminated from all news reports.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Given the fact this bastard's suicide note said that he was hoping to go out on a wave of fame and publicity, I wish his name and photos would be eliminated from all news reports.
Amen
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

The answer to your first question is "no."

"Goad" is too strong of a word. There are negative consequences to making media spectacles of violent acts (such as this), many of which can be traced back to the representation of violence without consequences. But demonstrating a causal relationship between media coverage and a specific behavior--such as shooting up a mall--is extraordinarily difficult to do, and even in the instances where media coverage does seem to play an important role there are always intermediating variables.

Even in this situation, where the murderer wrote of his desire for fame, one would have to assume that he understood his own motivations. Perhaps Mike could address this, but his understanding his own motivations is not something I would assume.

His being "troubled" and others being "similarly troubled" is where all of this comes to a head. How the media and a desire for fame are related to the other aspects of his being "troubled"--psychological, sociological, biological--is the real issue, because cause emerges through their relationship. At most, the media is but one variable of many in these situations. None of this means that I'm crazy about the photo, though.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 12-07-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Some peopel in media believe that it's cruelty to dismiss someone's last wish ..thanks to the media nicety ,the guy is famous now btw.