cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WCC Tourney

BYU actually won a game, losing the large lead and tried to give away a game who just lost its head coach, but hell it's a win.

Next loss, Monday against SMC. You can count on it. And if a miracle happens, I will be the happiest fan out there.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

honestly I don't give a rat's ass about the game.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I guess I lied. Watched the game. Fun. The guys played smart and played their hearts out.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I guess I lied. Watched the game. Fun. The guys played smart and played their hearts out.
Beating SMC in a non-fluke win surprises me. Gonzaga is on a different level though.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Childs played out of his mind. 3/3 from behind the arc? The chances of that are .22^3 = 1%.

Shots were falling for BYU. And shots weren't falling for SMC.

What is a Gael anyway?
Old 03-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

St Mary's has had a suspect defense all season. This time we took advantage of it. Actually the game in Provo we should have won also as we had a big lead and let them tie us at the end of regulation. But our team played with more confidence on offense last night. They'd been looking really tight with no movement recently. Conference tournaments have a way of making underdog teams play better.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Childs played out of his mind. 3/3 from behind the arc? The chances of that are .22^3 = 1%.

Shots were falling for BYU. And shots weren't falling for SMC.

What is a Gael anyway?
My suspicion without research is Gaelic, or Irish/Scottish.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:40 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

that Gonzaga game was a s*** show, LOL.

My takeaway - it's hard to win 2 on 5. You only have 2 guys who can score against this caliber of competition. Makes it really tough.

The supporting cast is very spare. Haws took steps backward this year. His brain is not right. He's the opposite of flow. His brain is primal scream and complain.

It's hard when the only guard who is a threat to score is Bryant. And these guys get tired. With no depth.

Hopefully Dastrup can develop. I think he can contribute next year if he finally gets his head right. I hope Hardnett spends all summer learning how to shoot. His form is awful.

Cannon was a big miss for me. When I first saw him play, I thought I saw something special. He's not who I thought he was. He wouldn't even be starting for Weber State had he stayed. On a good team, he would be the guy that plays mop up minutes. His athletic ceiling is low.

The good news is that Yoeli and Bryant are sophomores. And Haws has the potential to be better. And hopefully we can add some new talent next year.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Gonzaga is just really good. They are elite nationally, which is an easier argument to make this year given that they played for the national championship last year. Yes, it sucks we could only hang with them for about 18 minutes. The bench is spare in large part because we've been blowing up the roster and starting over every single year since 2013 or so. I think this year we can hold it together and then just add the guys coming back from missions. Assuming everyone develops and improves, we should be NCAA caliber next year. But it won't work if only 4 or 5 guys from this team return.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-07-2018 at 05:54 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yes, Gonzaga is good. But the problems I am talking about have been apparent all season.

After our two best players, there is a significant drop-off to #3. And then a huge drop off from there. Haws does best as a driving and passing guard, but he is slow and can't really finish at the rim. So there is only so much upside to having him as a point guard. He would be much better if he could find his 3 point stroke and get his shot off quicker.