cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default Speaking of Webb and books

has anyone read his book about the Scotch (or Scots) - Irish in America? I believe it's called Born Fighting. Anyway, if you're Scots-Irish or you just like history, check it out - it's a great read. Seriously, this country would be screwed militarily without these folks - we probably wouldn't have even gained our independence.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
has anyone read his book about the Scotch (or Scots) - Irish in America? I believe it's called Born Fighting. Anyway, if you're Scots-Irish or you just like history, check it out - it's a great read. Seriously, this country would be screwed militarily without these folks - we probably wouldn't have even gained our independence.
We most likely wouldn't have gained our independence without the help from the French either, but there's no need to talk about that.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always up for reading military history.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
We most likely wouldn't have gained our independence without the help from the French either, but there's no need to talk about that.

The French helped? Did they aid the British to ensure our victory?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

IPU, I am fully aware of your "feelings" for the French, so this is in no way an indictment of your acknowledgement of the fact that the French did, indeed, assist the American Colonists cast off the tyranny of their English king. In fact, it is very good manners for American dignitaries today, when visiting La France, to make mention of this assistance as a way to play to French vanities ("Voila! Les Américains nous aiment toujours!").

All that said, often it is not mentioned that the support came from the French King, Louis XVI, and that support for the colonies was part of a larger strategy to oppose Les Rosbifs at every turn and exert as much influence as possible over the New World. Indeed, when matters turned against the French and the U.S. started cozying up to the British, we found ourselves at war with Revolutionary France only 25 years later.

Nonetheless, we did owe them a debt, which I think we have paid many times over.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote