cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 05:01 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stop blaming the students for attendance woes

Quote:
I’m not saying that the current admissions policy isn’t the direction BYU should go in admissions-wise, but I’m just trying to state that I think we’re seeing the affects and results of that policy on not only the level of student participation, but also because those who graduate and never were sports fans never will become one. When you talk to a lot of the fans of BYU that are in their 30s and above, most of them say, just as myself, that given today’s admission standards, they would not have been admitted and would they be the devout fans they are today? That’s the question I’m pondering.
http://www.cougarblueii.com/modules....ticle&sid=4689

For all the rah-rah folks on these boards, there's apparently a lot of folks sitting in their living rooms that have said "enough!" and "show me first!"

We're not into sports like some people (in the South especially) but that's probably a good thing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:04 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

actually 58k is an improvement over the last two home games of 2004 (53,435 and 53,618).

I think we will see below 53k for EIU.

The TCU game should be worth paying 5 bucks for, however.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm on the fence with this team;

Bronco talked a good talk before the season, but his first game coaching decisions made me believe it's all talk.

He didn't discipline the players committing fouls and he didn't adjust properly. I don't know if I believed BYU would win, but I believed the coachspeak that the players would lay it all on the line for him. They didn't.

So I'm back on the fence. I'm willing to give Bronco four or five years to develop his team, but it's possible he's great in the PR department but not a coach. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm on the fence with this team;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
So I'm back on the fence. I'm willing to give Bronco four or five years to develop his team, but it's possible he's great in the PR department but not a coach. I hope I'm wrong.
I just don't see any reason that BYU should not be better than last year. The schedule is softer, we basically have the entire team back, supposedly the coaching problem was fixed. The team was a couple of mistakes away from being a lower tier bowl team last year. I just don't see what would excuse them this year from winning 6 games. I suppose we could argue that the secondary is much worse this year, but I don't think it is SO much worse as to be an excuse to win less than 6 games.

I agree that we may as well give Bronco 4-5 years because as far as I know there isn't anybody else available.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
WaterCat

WaterCat
Default I like most of his comments...

You're right though. Low attendance has nothing to do with increasing academic standards. It has to due with lousy football. No scientific analysis is necessary. Put a good product on the field and they'll show up.
WaterCat is offline   Reply With Quote