cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fusnik, what is the attitude of the players towards Bronco?

Do they buy his system and attitude? Does he inspire the best of them? Are they afraid of him?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ....

heres what i know.....

since we are a small community ill give you a rundown of the people i know on the team.

i know an offensive starter, a defensive starter, 2 key special teams people, and a staff member on the team. (not coaching staff)

2 of the people i know im very very very close with. one ive known since i was 5, the other is my sister in laws brother. the other 2 ive met through the first 2 but ive forged a strong relationship with them.

basically here is the run down, from what ive heard. bronco seemed unapproachable when he first came to byu. you couldnt show weakness, you couldnt goof around, you couldnt talk to him, basically he was a hard ass and he wanted hard ass people around him. hes since softened that stance from what theyve told me and hes much more approachable now.

half of the people i know absolutely dislike him, half of them love him. the defensive player loves him to death, the offensive players dislike him. and felt bronco created a division between offense and defense over his first couple of years.

ive talked to 2 of the guys since the bc game and both think theyll be ok, but are worried that a few guys will jump ship quickly. some think he is too preachy and philosophical, others think he is too literal. from what im hearing he is the type of guy that some love and some hate and depending on your personality you either mesh or you dont. there are a group of players upset that walkenhorst has been allowed to play. some think bronco is being a hypocrit since dude was dependent for so long.

in reality the problem on the team is leadership, they have zero leadership except maybe cam jen...so there is no buffer between the coaches and the players. beck is not well respsected, watkins walks around like hes the man, tahis role is limited and isnt outspoken, manaia brown is another quiet type guy, the offensive line is fat, soelberg freakin sucks, and im hoping cougarmom doesnt read this, but people tire of curtis brown. dude talks to much from what im hearing. (and you know how lds people dont like it when people not born under the covenant are outspoken moral types after their baptism).

as far as buying into his system, i think the team realizes that you cant be successful with strictly lds kids, and kids who recruit byu. hes an inspiring dude but it gets old. and yes some are afraid of him.

i dont know if that answers any of your questions or if that just makes things cloudier....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default not tooting my horn

but on the other board my estimation of the team was lack of player leadership, guessing that Cam Jenson was the sole leader.

A little success and that may be resolved. When losing occurs fractures and fissures form.

By nature, football players are a little hard ass, so it's easy to get into their psyches.

Nothing you say is surprising.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
fusnik11

Default ....

i just reread my post....wow my grammar was horrible. seriously bad.

one thing i failed to post is the majority of the team still is optimistic and they still think they can win. they still think 40 a game is a realistic goal. and both offense and defense are committed to making that a reality.

now this you can look at two ways.

a. the team is following the coaching staff which is a good thing and the kids have bought into the system....

b. or the team, coaching staff is dillussional and has no sense of reality.

i personally think its a mixture of both but i think 40 a game is very unrealisitic. not just very, wholly unrealistic. it aint going to happen.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #5
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
and im hoping cougarmom doesnt read this, but people tire of curtis brown. dude talks to much from what im hearing. (and you know how lds people dont like it when people not born under the covenant are outspoken moral types after their baptism).
That's a lovely comment ... Did you mean to sound like a snotnosed Mormon boy from Utah bigot.

Perhaps your acquaintances dislike of his manner has more to do with race than what he is saying ... of course the scriptures tell us the wicked take the truth to be hard!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

tooblue, you make me sound tactful!

Perhaps Fusnik is suggesting some people feel CB is holier-than-thou? I don't know.

My personal experience is that many converts have an enthusiasm which is much appreciated.

The suggestion that Beck is not a respected leader is disturbing. Because this goes counter to the many suggestions of the past 2 years that he is the greatest leader, most prepared, and can hit the fieldgoal post from 70 yards.

Winning may make some leaders yet. I hate to see what happens if the season descends into anarchy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
fusnik11

Default clarification.....

heres what i meant by my comment.

many of the kids on the team tire of his preachyness. he is by far the most outspoken member on the team. he stresses constantly how important it is to represent the school with morality etc.

some kids tire very quickly of his outspoken preachiness....

do they tire because he is black? i wouldnt think so. but is it hard having someone tell you how to live when you have lived that way your whole life and someone has for 1 year? yeah its kinda hard to swallow. think about missionary service, it rubs a lot of kids the wrong way when a younger missionary is chosen for service and tells older kids how to do stuff. ive talked with cb twice in my life and i thought he was as classy as a dude as they come. my friends love him to death, im just saying what theyve told me and how come he isnt a leader.

as far as beck being a good leader ive never heard he was a good leader. i havent heard one person tell me he was a good leader. he uses him being a perfectionist as the excuse when, from what ive heard, he just isnt a likeable dude. and football players love likeable dudes.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default this mirrors many of the same things I have heard. . .

including the part of Beck and respect. I've never understood why people assume he is such a great team leader. I know for a fact that more than a few players were really pulling for Matt this past offseason and ummm not so much for Beck.

BTW I respect you fus for sharing your sources, I unfortunately will be unable to share mine due to my needing to respect requests that have been made of me. And fyi folks it's not like I'm a fountain of inside info anyway, just some good stuff here and there.

But anyway I remain cautiously optimistic. I think things are moving in the right direction, and problems will always be there even on the best football team. But if we can start winning we'll see a lot of these things take care of themselves. Right now someone needs to step up and lead, and people need to take all the talk and put it into practice on the field.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote