cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2008, 04:35 AM   #29
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This sounds good.

Question: doesnt the tomato paste mix burn quickly in the heat of the skillet? Is the purpose to blacken the paste and serve on top of chicken, use it to spice the chicken only and do not serve it with meal, or simply to heat it up and remove it quickly and serve with pasta?

I may use your recipe and add some sweet pearl onions to the mix. yum!
The mix is usually fine because it isn't really in direct contact with the skillet. When I spoon it in, I put it directly on top of the chicken, kind of like a salsa. The juices from the mix flow down and help season the skillet for the upcoming pasta. If it falls off the chicken, it probably isn't too big a deal because it's only on the skillet for a few minutes.

As to the purpose of the mix, I guess it all depends on taste. I kind of view it as a cross between salsa and marinara sauce. It has the texture of a thick salsa, but it goes really well when mixed in the pasta like a marinara. Pearl onions sound great, btw. I'm going to give that a try. I also imagine the mix would work well on bruschetta.

I also forgot to mention that I put a little seasoning rub on the chicken breast prior to putting it on the frying pan. It might sound weird, but I like a little Montreal Chicken Seasoning. It has all the basic seasonings and spices; Garlic, Onion, Paprika, Red Pepper, so it works pretty well even when just using a frying pan. I don't use a whole lot, just enough to flavor it a little.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote