cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Prop. 8 armageddon?

Apart from the rights or wrongs of being gay or gay marriage, have any of you considered that your leaders may be right in that if gay marriage becomes accepted, legalized and normalized, this would be a serious set back, if not a death blow, to the LDS Church? I'm not sure this has been addressed here really.

I can see where they're coming from. Moreover, I'm sure that an LDS Church led by people lke 3D and Waters would not be a religion organization to reckon with.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Apart from the rights or wrongs of being gay or gay marriage, have any of you considered that your leaders may be right in that if gay marriage becomes accepted, legalized and normalized, this would be a serious set back, if not a death blow, to the LDS Church?
No leader has said that.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oh brother ...

... I mostly lurk here these days, but when I read your posts you always seem to pose false question after false question. Pray tell, which leaders have said failure of prop 8 would be the death blow to the church, let alone a serious set back to the church. A serious set back to the morals of mankind and society, but not specifically to the church itself. Individual members may indirectly desensitize over time, but the church itself would not be destroyed any more than it was destroyed, say, in the late 1800s when the government was coming down hard on it.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
... I mostly lurk here these days, but when I read your posts you always seem to pose false question after false question. Pray tell, which leaders have said failure of prop 8 would be the death blow to the church, let alone a serious set back to the church. A serious set back to the morals of mankind and society, but not specifically to the church itself. Individual members may indirectly desensitize over time, but the church itself would not be destroyed any more than it was destroyed, say, in the late 1800s when the government was coming down hard on it.
are civil unions for gays a "serious set back to the morals of mankind and society."

It seems to me, that if Mormons are going to get angry about gays, they ought to be angry at God for creating good, kind people that have no sexual attraction to the opposite sex.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Captain Hyperbole strikes again!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
They call the Prop. 8 fight "our Gettysburg." In American popular imagination and mythology Gettysburg is considered "the union's" armaggedon. Had the battle been lost, Lincoln may have lost the election, indeed the Gettysburg address was the kick-off to his re-election campaign, which was going to be tough. Lee had invaded the north, had brought his army north of DC, to Pennsylvania, after winning every other major preceding battle!

Because of Gettysburg's outcome Lincoln was able to convince northern states the blood letting must go on. This, like his re-election victory against the incompetent general and converted pacifist McLellan, was far from assured.

Are LDS leaders ignorant of the analogy they have created (possibly, given their inherent disdain for history), or do they mean it that Prop. 8 is LDS armaggedon as much as Gettysburg was an American armaggedon?

Here's why I think they may be onto something. I thnk the LDS Church's whole appeal, its branding, its very goodwill, is asssociated with its distinct social conservatism, the fact that it lives in a time capsul, from its extraoridarily uncomprimising ideal of sexual morality to its magic world view. Anything that devalues that outlook in our society, that makes it less appealing or out to be immoral, devalues the LDS Church, devalues its very essesence, strikes at its heart.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 10-14-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Apart from the rights or wrongs of being gay or gay marriage, have any of you considered that your leaders may be right in that if gay marriage becomes accepted, legalized and normalized, this would be a serious set back, if not a death blow, to the LDS Church? I'm not sure this has been addressed here really.

I can see where they're coming from. Moreover, I'm sure that an LDS Church led by people lke 3D and Waters would not be a religion organization to reckon with.

You just can't get over the fact that you chose to leave, can you?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You just can't get over the fact that you chose to leave, can you?
Let's see how smart you are. Can you address the thread on the merits?

—Paul Auster
Old 10-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Captain Hyperbole strikes again!
Kind of like, "Prop. 8 is our Gettsyburg?" Is that what you mean by "hyperbole"?

—Paul Auster
Old 10-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Let's see how smart you are. Can you address the thread on the merits?
The alleged merits are the same rehashed hatred you have for the Mormon Church. There is nothing to address.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote