cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat

Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Lack of high-impact research publications. Lack of grants and history of obtaining grants. To some degree, the kind of science professors you would have at a liberal arts college that doesn't have graduate programs. How can you run wet-labs and not have a meaningful graduate program? End of story.

However, I believe things are trending towards better research, more graduate students, better-qualified young faculty.

When BYU was rapidly expanding back in the day (1970s?), they hired a lot of suspect faculty who ended up with tenure. Those guys are dying off.
Conversely, when BYU was starting its law school, it went out and found some excellent name law professors at various localities. Unfortunately, they have not replaced them with the professors of the same stature. So in effect, of recent years, the law school has actually decreased in stature, due to the faculty and a reassessment based upon the number of women who don't seek employment after law school.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #22
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Conversely, when BYU was starting its law school, it went out and found some excellent name law professors at various localities. Unfortunately, they have not replaced them with the professors of the same stature. So in effect, of recent years, the law school has actually decreased in stature, due to the faculty and a reassessment based upon the number of women who don't seek employment after law school.
In the latest alumni mag the law school announced hiring a pair of Iranian sisters. One went to Law school at NYU, the other graduated top of her class at BYU.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #23
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Lack of high-impact research publications. Lack of grants and history of obtaining grants. To some degree, the kind of science professors you would have at a liberal arts college that doesn't have graduate programs. How can you run wet-labs and not have a meaningful graduate program? End of story.

However, I believe things are trending towards better research, more graduate students, better-qualified young faculty.

When BYU was rapidly expanding back in the day (1970s?), they hired a lot of suspect faculty who ended up with tenure. Those guys are dying off.
I guess funding is more critical in science. In the social sciences all you need is money to purchase datasets and get an RA.

Bateman moved BYU in the research direction and (at least in econ polisci) professors are under the same pressure to publish.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #24
The Psych Guy

The Psych Guy is on a distinguished road

I can't speak to the past, but current psychology professors are under incredible pressure to publish or perish. As far as grants go, there are at least 3 professors in the psych department that have multi-million dollar grants. I am currently in the process of helping one professor to apply for an NIMH grant of the same stature. I am currently doing research for my dissertation that incorporates a number of mental health clinics in the community, a research team of 16 RAs (many of which are being paid), requiring a significant amount of other resources. I can't speak to other programs, but the clinical psychology program is doing great research in the area of psychotherapy and our researchers and publications are respected and often sited. We have recently hired a number of young outstanding proffessors who continue to elevate this trend.
The Psych Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #25
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
In the latest alumni mag the law school announced hiring a pair of Iranian sisters. One went to Law school at NYU, the other graduated top of her class at BYU.
I didn't see that.

My critique of the law school faculty is that we have not replaced the departing faculty with the faculty of the same stature.

The newer hires are former BYU students who may have studied law at Harvard but have absolutely little or no professional experience. Yet, their Harvard law degree and BYU undergrad got them hired.

The older guard had established professors from Michigan, a solicitor general, established prosecutors and noted tax professionals. That experience and stature is not being replaced and the new faculty appears to be a bunch of lightweights.

Here's a list of the faculty.

http://www.law2.byu.edu/faculty_profiles.php

Some are still there that many years later. Amazing. Yet lots of new names.

This is the type of hire I don't get.

Whereas this one makes more sense.

or this one.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-16-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

do you know that you provided the same link 4 times?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #27
Archaea

No. I clicked on the profile and expected it to link to the different faculty.

So the url's are not differentiated.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

You have to do something like this.

http://www.law.byu.edu/Law_School/Faculty_Profile?210

Btw, where is this visiting professor visiting from?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Btw, I posted that one because she was the hottest one among the ones I looked at.

Carolina Nunez!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Do you guys like the straight hair or the curly hair better?