cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 04-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sabonis coming back next year

that's good news.

A strong Gonzaga is good for BYU. Because otherwise the WCC would be completely insufferable.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
that's good news.

A strong Gonzaga is good for BYU. Because otherwise the WCC would be completely insufferable.
There are some strong rumors out there now that Wiltjer and Karnowski are leaving. At worst both can be getting paid well in Europe next year, so why not leave early. If those two go it means Gonzaga will lose their entire starting lineup.

Also, this interview with Dave Rose is a pretty good article by Provo Daily Herald standards.

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/co...7f9c22d6c.html
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Who are these negative fans that Coach Rose refers to? Besides Archaea?
Old 04-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

He made a point that it seems we've gotten now to where BYU can make the NCAA tournament and it's considered a "bad" year for some of the fans. Obviously we want to push ahead and win some games there. However, getting there 8/10 years is unprecedented in our history. That means something. I also think the football-centric mentality of many of the fans tends to downplay success in basketball simply because they like football accomplishments better. I couldn't disagree more with the idea that winning 25 games and getting the to NCAA tournament even if you lose is roughly comparable to what the football team just did with 8 wins and losing in a nothing bowl game. But we seem to have at least a few fans who think that way. The latter for me actually compares in my mind to an early exit in the NIT. To me, the football team hasn't really been better than "NIT" for at least 5 years.

As far as winning NCAA games goes, we want more obviously, but his 4 wins are more than any other previous BYU coach had in a career, and at least we're not in the same drought were were between 93 and 2010. I see good things coming soon with the top 25 recruiting classes we've recently had now all starting to come back from their missions. I think next season we'll actually be considerably better than this last one because we'll be much better balanced. I've also never seen a BYU team hit as bad with injuries as this last one was. If that can be avoided next season I think we'll be very good. Then it gets better the year after with Mika and Dastrup and TJ Haws coming back.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-15-2015 at 04:16 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

That's because we are in the WCC playing little league basketball. And we can't even dominate there. That's why there is grumbling.

There is nothing exciting about the WCC. And losing to bad WCC teams is the pits.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Karnowski coming back too