cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 05-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #11
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

I think the Honor Code Office should be shut down and if I were a bishop to BYU students I wouldn't give the HCO the time of day. However, isn't it also true that the one girl who got in trouble was actually for her LSD use, and not because of the reported rape? That doesn't justify all the ridiculousness of the HCO, but the way it's reported is that she got in trouble for having sex because of rape, and that's misleading at best.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-05-2016 at 06:54 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The only reason BYU knew about the drug use was that she told them.

"Oh, you confess to drug use? Time to punish you."

That's what I find so ridiculous. It's not like BYU somehow discovered there was some big LSD ring at BYU and discovered she was involved in it. SHE TOLD THEM.

Why expel someone for what they admit they have done?

"You were using LSD. We'd like to provide you some counseling and help regarding drug use." Difficult concept for BYU.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #13
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The only reason BYU knew about the drug use was that she told them.

"Oh, you confess to drug use? Time to punish you."

That's what I find so ridiculous. It's not like BYU somehow discovered there was some big LSD ring at BYU and discovered she was involved in it. SHE TOLD THEM.

Why expel someone for what they admit they have done?

"You were using LSD. We'd like to provide you some counseling and help regarding drug use." Difficult concept for BYU.
No, I'm pretty sure it was a provo police officer who was involved in her case who reported her to the HC office and he did that because of the drugs. He probably did that knowing there was no legal case to go after her with the drugs because she didn't have them in her possession anymore. The Provo PD has since reprimanded the officer. He has to be a complete douchebag. The whole thing is stupid all the way around. I don't think she should be in trouble with the HC office, but most of the media is only reporting the facts that further whatever agenda they have.

1. That police officer should be fired. It is beyond appalling that he treated a victim that way.

2. BYU is being really stupid in how they are handling the student's case. They should have stayed out of it completely.

3. The media coverage has not been entirely honest with the facts.

I'm really hoping this leads to changes in the entire approach to BYU and the honor code. Not holding my breath.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-05-2016 at 07:53 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

There's been more than one case, so I admit I'm a little confused as to whether the rape case with the police report is the same as the one with the LSD. I thought they were two different cases. In fact, I think I'm right. But I'm too busy/lazy to look it up right now.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote