cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 10-01-2006, 03:39 AM   #21
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Hmmm... So this is third hand at this point? Color me skeptical.
Count me as a skeptic too.

I heard him speak about his book first person. He most certainly did not say anything about regrets (and this was only about 4 months ago).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Joe Bentley is a retired partner at Latham & Watkins. He lives in Newport Beach and was the Temple Cmttee Chair down there (temple paid for entirely by the local members). He was speaking at the J. Reuben Clark Law Society leadership meetings on Thurs and Fri (he is the current International Chair of the Law Society). As previously stated, Joe is editing what will be Vol. 3 of the Joseph Smith papers which will be legal documents relating to Joseph Smith's trials in NY and Ohio. Bushman is heading up the entire project.

I obviously didn't speak to Bushman, but Joe does weekly. And of course Joe wouldn't make something like that up.
Sure he wouldn't, but in the telling and retelling of the discussion, the facts and original intent can get shifted around. As a matter of principle I take all such comments (retelling of second-hand conversations) with a grain of salt. No offense.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:21 AM   #23
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road

"You seminary teachers and some of you institute and BYU men will be teaching the history of the Church this school year. This is an unparalleled opportunity in the lives of your students to increase their faith and testimony of the divinity of this work. Your objective should be that they will see the hand of the Lord in every hour and every moment of the Church from its beginning till now... Church history can be so interesting and so inspiring as to be a very powerful tool indeed for building faith. If not properly written or properly taught, it may be a faith destroyer... There is a temptation for the writer or the teacher of Church history to want to tell everything, whether it is worthy or faith promoting or not... Some things that are true are not very useful... That historian or scholar who delights in pointing out the weaknesses and frailties of present or past leaders destroys faith. A destroyer of faith — particularly one within the Church, and more particularly one who is employed specifically to build faith — places himself in great spiritual jeopardy. He is serving the wrong master, and unless he repents, he will not be among the faithful in the eternities. ... Do not spread disease germs!" - Boyd K. Packer

"It is one thing to depreciate a person who exercises corporate power or even government power. It is quite another thing to criticize or depreciate a person for the performance of an office to which he or she has been called of God. It does not matter that the criticism is true. As Elder George F. Richards, President of the Council of the Twelve, said in a conference address in April 1947, 'when we say anything bad about the leaders of the Church, whether true or false, we tend to impair their influence and their usefulness and are thus working against the Lord and his cause.' ... The Holy Ghost will not guide or confirm criticism of the Lord's anointed, or of Church leaders, local or general. This reality should be part of the spiritual evaluation that LDS readers and viewers apply to those things written about our history and those who made it." - Dallin H. Oaks
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:28 AM   #24
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

You clearly haven't spent much time around here shaft.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:39 AM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
"You seminary teachers and some of you institute and BYU men will be teaching the history of the Church this school year. This is an unparalleled opportunity in the lives of your students to increase their faith and testimony of the divinity of this work. Your objective should be that they will see the hand of the Lord in every hour and every moment of the Church from its beginning till now... Church history can be so interesting and so inspiring as to be a very powerful tool indeed for building faith. If not properly written or properly taught, it may be a faith destroyer... There is a temptation for the writer or the teacher of Church history to want to tell everything, whether it is worthy or faith promoting or not... Some things that are true are not very useful... That historian or scholar who delights in pointing out the weaknesses and frailties of present or past leaders destroys faith. A destroyer of faith — particularly one within the Church, and more particularly one who is employed specifically to build faith — places himself in great spiritual jeopardy. He is serving the wrong master, and unless he repents, he will not be among the faithful in the eternities. ... Do not spread disease germs!" - Boyd K. Packer

"It is one thing to depreciate a person who exercises corporate power or even government power. It is quite another thing to criticize or depreciate a person for the performance of an office to which he or she has been called of God. It does not matter that the criticism is true. As Elder George F. Richards, President of the Council of the Twelve, said in a conference address in April 1947, 'when we say anything bad about the leaders of the Church, whether true or false, we tend to impair their influence and their usefulness and are thus working against the Lord and his cause.' ... The Holy Ghost will not guide or confirm criticism of the Lord's anointed, or of Church leaders, local or general. This reality should be part of the spiritual evaluation that LDS readers and viewers apply to those things written about our history and those who made it." - Dallin H. Oaks
Ummmm, ok.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:48 AM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If the quote isn't from BRM, we don't take it seriously.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:19 AM   #27
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting quite from Packer. I also thought it was interesting that Bushman sought a blessing from Elder Packer prior to writing RSR.

Bushman records, “I sought a blessing from Elder Packer before getting started, and insofar as I was worthy, I think the blessing was fufilled.”

http://www.timesandseasons.org/?p=3662

Bushman also notes that Elder Holland sent him a letter praising the book.

He recently published a very-limited edition diary of his promotional tour of RSR. It looks like a terrific read, but it's not yet widely available. Dennis Lythgoe had a good review of the diary last Sunday.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650220569,00.html
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:19 AM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Hey Aaron,

When are you going to stop the cutting and pasting and actually use some of your own thoughts/words? I am genuinely curious.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:24 AM   #29
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey Aaron,

When are you going to stop the cutting and pasting and actually use some of your own thoughts/words? I am genuinely curious.

Thanks in advance.
Agreed.

Meaningful diagolue would go much further than posting marginally relevant quotes without proper context or referencing.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:25 AM   #30
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey Aaron,

Thanks in advance.
Yeah no kidding. We have a world famous anti-Mormon in our midst. Tell us about yourself AShaf.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote