cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default Easter

I'm pretty sure I complained about this last year, and I don't think it got much traction--even when the numbers of people here were much greater. But once again I'm going to say that in my ward yesterday you would never have known it was a holiday.

We had the same old formula of talks (in my ward that's the newest missionary and one of the new young couples--we have a steady diet of these, so that's our speakers week after week). There was a choir number, which was fine but nothing special. No flowers, no pomp or circumstance. No preaching. No celebration. No hallelujah. No rejoicing. Just a few young people reading a string of quotes after surfing the internet for a bit. Sunday school proceeded as scheduled, as did RS with the lesson on JS as scheduled.

I have already decided that I will start attending another church at Christmas time (based on doing this last year and loving it), and next year, I think I'll start attending another church for Easter. I believe there is a "spirit of Easter," and it was not present in my ward yesterday.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I'm pretty sure I complained about this last year, and I don't think it got much traction--even when the numbers of people here were much greater. But once again I'm going to say that in my ward yesterday you would never have known it was a holiday.

We had the same old formula of talks (in my ward that's the newest missionary and one of the new young couples--we have a steady diet of these, so that's our speakers week after week). There was a choir number, which was fine but nothing special. No flowers, no pomp or circumstance. No preaching. No celebration. No hallelujah. No rejoicing. Just a few young people reading a string of quotes after surfing the internet for a bit. Sunday school proceeded as scheduled, as did RS with the lesson on JS as scheduled.

I have already decided that I will start attending another church at Christmas time (based on doing this last year and loving it), and next year, I think I'll start attending another church for Easter. I believe there is a "spirit of Easter," and it was not present in my ward yesterday.
in the Primary manuals there is a special lesson for Easter and Christmas. I do however, agree with your premise. We should do more on Easter than "the norm".
Old 04-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

We should celebrate Easter on April 6, no matter the day of the week.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

We had Fast Sunday on Easter. I know some you hate "open mic Sunday" (or love it for the wrong reasons), but it actually led to several testimonies about the meaning of Easter.

Yes, Sunday School and Priesthood didn't have it as part of the lesson.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't tolerate Sunday School. That means that I am seriously building up a karma backlog that is going to force me to be Gospel Doctrine teacher someday, as punishment.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:45 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I can't tolerate Sunday School. That means that I am seriously building up a karma backlog that is going to force me to be Gospel Doctrine teacher someday, as punishment.
smiles.

I like Sacrament, most days, and Priesthood, most days. I no longer tolerate Sunday School, as it is filled scripture mingled with the philosophies of men sanitized to please the masses.

I would pay to be part of your Sunday School.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Responses to my Easter thread! Wow.

Grapevine reminds me of my Mother's Day point as well. Now I have three Sundays to avoid LDS services: Christmas and Easter, so that I can celebrate the religious holiday. And Mother's Day so that I can avoid the secular holiday as being treated as a high religious holiday, which it is not.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote