cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what does the sun, moon and stars on the nauvoo.....

temple symbolize?

does it mean...

sun=the father
moon=the christ
stars=the holy ghost and his helpers?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default time to look it up

but those could also stand for three differing degrees of glory.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:19 AM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default While we're on it, who or what was the model for the face .

. . . on the sunstones?

I heard a rumor once, with no attribution, that the face, if applied to a head, would reveal the likeness of The Savior.

Weird, huh?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:59 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's one opinion:

http://users.marshall.edu/~brown/nauvoo/nt-parent.html
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks steel...

interesting he didnt know what the compass and the square on the weather vane meant.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
Iluvatar

Iluvatar
Default Sun, moon, stars...

I'm sure they have multiple layers of meaning. At the surface, I'm sure they symbolize largely Christain/Mormon themes like the three degrees of glory, the father son and holy ghost, etc. I would submit, however, that they are also of masonic origin. It's well known that many of the bretheren were heavily involved with masonry and masonic symbology in Nauvoo. The masonic lodge in Nauvoo was the largest in the country. Moreover, the first "celestial marriages" (no need to open that can here), took place in the masonic lodge, not the temple.

Given that Joseph wore a Jupiter Talismen for most of his life (he died wearing it), and was known to be immersed in Swedenbourgian philosophy, I would wager that much of the symbolism on the temple had it's origins in European Paganism.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sun, moon, stars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar
Given that Joseph wore a Jupiter Talismen for most of his life (he died wearing it), and was known to be immersed in Swedenbourgian philosophy, I would wager that much of the symbolism on the temple had it's origins in European Paganism.
There was an interesting article posted on the Jupiter Talisman somewhere in this religion section. Interesting stuff.

RE: Swedenborgian philosophy I'm not sure you can say that Joseph was "known to be immersed" in it. I quote from Bushman's Rough Stone Rolling regarding Joseph's vision of the 3 degrees of glory and some similar ideas from Swedenborg: "Since Swedenborg attracted the attention of New England intellectuals (his Treatise Concerning Heaven and Hell had its first American edition in 1812), his ideas may conceivably have drifted into Joseph Smith's environment, but it was more likely the passage from Paul sparked the revelations of both men."

You may have more information than I have read, but I've not seen anything that definitively states that Joseph immersed himself in Swedenborg's ideas at all.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:58 AM   #8
Iluvatar

Iluvatar

I've been looking for the source all day, and I can't remember where I read it. I recall a letter that he wrote to one of his friends (I want to say Sidney Rigdon, but I might be wrong). In it he mentions Swedenborg, and says something to the effect that Swedenborg was correct in many things, but lacked any real spiritual insight.

I'm sorry I can't be any more specific...I'll continue looking. I suspect it might be referenced in Palmer's book, I'll have to look.

Man, I need to spell check my posts occasionally. that last post was terrible!