cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How did everybody's ride go this weekend?

Maybe we should have weekly reports.

Mine showed how bad my conditioning is.

For the record, Vegas has a stage race for the end of the month so my fitness is in question.

A description of race.

Friday 27th has 20 K TT, which is flat.

Saturday 28th has a crit, which I probably will just sit on a wheel and survive.

Sunday 29th has a road race with tortuous climbing.

So Saturday I go out with a Cat 2 guy who is very, very fit. He's a great mountain biker and won several races as a 3 last year.

We cruise up the first climb until he decides "to stretch his legs." He's gone.

At the peak, you dive down toward the Colorado river with some rough rode and gravel across the road. It's a fast ride down. Once at the bottom you start your ascent. And torture doesn't begin to describe it.

This guy he's already about a half mile ahead of me, but during the ascent he says he thinks he will get a 27 to spin up for the race. I'm thinking a 27 would be nice, maybe even a 29.

This is the actual first climb I've done since, umm, July. Well needless to say, som of the 13 percent grades cause me to want to dump the bike and to call home for mommy.

Somehow I overcome the doubts when I see him descending for a second time with a new group of Cat 2s. I start thinking, I may be a sucky 5, but my mother didn't raise no dummy. No second time for me on this day, so I descend the easy side and meet him at the top.

That was a morning of pain and torture.

Next day, Sunday, okay, I attend meetings and all, but decide to head out to TT site.

After driving about 40 miles I notice, I didn't bring a bike pump and that my tires had about 60 lbs of pressure. Great. Nonetheless I start what I think is the start line like gangbusters. Until I notice the actual start line after about a mile. Nonetheless, not being a sprinter I don't know pace so my thighs start burning. Push through past the actual turnaround point. So I head back and notice my cadence is descending but hey I'm out for a Sunday ride, right?

Start becoming delirious as I miss the turn around spot for where I parked my car, thinking somebody had stolen it. Then I see it as light of sun descends. Well time kinda sucked but it was fun.

However, this morning on the short climbing loop I notice legs still sore from Saturday.

Wow bad conditioning hurts.

Anybody else with ride reports.