cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
What difference does it make?
It makes none.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It makes none.
My biggest problem with scouts: unruly boys who will not settle down.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My biggest problem with scouts: unruly boys who will not settle down.
To resolve this, you need to learn to make them think that you will play a game of Foot up the Hiney if their behavior continues.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
My 7 year old daughter is all the time asking me why she can't be a cub scout (my wife has been the cub master until recently). She has complained quite loudly during the last two father/son campouts about it not being fair. She also noticed that only boys can pass the sacrament and has said it isn't fair that girls can't have the priesthood.

My 11 year old daughter doesn't seem to care about any of those things.
The 7 year old has her father's coltishness.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:06 AM   #25
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It seems the answer is "no". And if you believe that answer, I would submit that the coming divorce between BSA and LDS is coming sooner than you think.
President Monson has been on the Board of Directors of the BSA since something like 1963. No divorce is coming while he is alive.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:12 AM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Take heart. I have it on good authority that he was very much against the Duty to God program and they wore him down until he agreed to approve it. Maybe he will be motivated to get us down to one program.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 AM   #27
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
My 7 year old daughter is all the time asking me why she can't be a cub scout (my wife has been the cub master until recently). She has complained quite loudly during the last two father/son campouts about it not being fair. She also noticed that only boys can pass the sacrament and has said it isn't fair that girls can't have the priesthood.

My 11 year old daughter doesn't seem to care about any of those things.
My eight year old has complained bitterly that she does not get to participate in the same activities as the boys. She says it is not fair and I told her "it is not fair and I am sorry about it." We are hoping that having her in Girl Scouts will make it up to her, but it is pretty tough to tell your child that you have always told that there ought to be equality of the sexes, that really it is not that way in your own church.

A little bit of a rude awakening.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #28
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think at some level it might come down to this:

The church is interested in developing leaders among the YM (see scouting and missions).

The church is very much less interested in developing leaders about the YW.

This has an interesting effect. No YW is ever a disappointment in YW's programs or because she didn't go on a mission. YM are disappointments (broadly speaking) when they don't advance in scouting and don't go on missions.

It's a two-tiered church. I'm merely pointing this out as a hypothesis. And suggesting that women in the church represent untapped, unharnessed potential for leadership and progress.

This sounds like you are arguing in favor of scouting for YW, not ditching it for YM. I hate camping.

I also remember, however, complaining about not being able to be a cub scout when I was younger. And wishing I could grow up to pass the sacrament.

We can't disengage from Boy Scouts quick enough for me, but you didn't ask for reasons about that, so I won't digress down that path.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you think we should disengage from scouting?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #30
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

My girls' idea of camping is much like that of their mother: cabin with all the amenities and a pool on the grounds. They have very little desire to do the type of camping the boys do. They will happily go to girls camp, but that's more for the social aspect.

As for scouting, I like it. It provides a ready made program for boys that we can use. Otherwise we're making up our own and just reinventing the wheel. As a rule, boys are unruly. Scouting provides a structure along with a supporting organization.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote