cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First ride on a triple.

ANd I am talking about a bicycle. We received our triple last week and took it out for a shakedown ride yesterday (I know if was the sabbath but I didn't finish putting it together until very late saturdya, curse you infernal soccer, and we just couldn't stand it anymore and had to ttry it out). We only went a few miles, but what a blast.

I know most of you are into fast riding, which I think is great, but there is some real fun to be had on tandems and triples. Moreover, they can offer very fast riding, depending on the bike and team composition. On the triple My eight year old, in the third position with crank shorteners, was absolutley ecstatic to be with us and we had a great time. Let me tell you that the bike is a slug going up hills (the 8 year old has no climbing ethic, yet) but man does it FLY going down the mildest incline. Incredible. Driving it (and on a triple it feels like you are driving, not riding) is like driving a bus. You hit a bump with the front wheel and it seems like 10 or 15 seconds before the second stoker feels it. Wild.

Anyway, the bike looks to be a lot of fun and is already a big hit with stoker two (and stoker one is just getting over sticker shock, so her positive reaction was muted).

If any of you wnat more info, let me know. We are planning on taking this to Solvang, btw, but with the 8 yo will probably only do the 1/2 century.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I look forward to seeing that beast in Solvang. Who are we going to draft for the rest of the ride if you only do 50?

I've got my own version of a triple I use. My bike, usually the mountain bike, with the third wheel seat post attachment for the 5 year old. Then I attach the Burley stroller onto his seat post, giving us 5 wheels total and about 15 feet in length.

I know what you mean about it being a slug going uphill Creekster. Especially when the 5 year old decides to rest his legs just as we head up.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:51 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Team Creekster would be much good for drafting on either the tandem or the triple. On the tandem we could probably jackrabbit out for 20-30 miles, but that would be it. The triple acclereates very slowly, sort of like a ship. Once rolling you hope no one gets in the way, but I am not sure if it would be good leading a paceline becasue it isn't easy to regulate the speed closely on varying terrain. In any event, it is fun.

I understand your comments about the five year old, as my 8 year old said one of the coolest things about the triple is that when he was tired he quit pedaling but, becasue he was clipped, he still kept pedaling. That's alright, however, as I didn't really expect too much help from him.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if out triple is a beast, it sounds like your set up must be a monster! 15 feet?!? The triple is about 10.5 feet and I can't fathom adding 4.5 more. You should get a steamwhistle and make them lower the signal arms when you cross the street.

If you bring your triple to Solvang, however, we may be able to keep up with you.

Creekster.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote