cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat

Old 04-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should BYU end tuition breaks for affluent families?

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13974943

The part that really bothers me....is the idea that it is completely illegitimate to have this conversation. Like you are steadying the ark. Like you have no right or reason to offer your opinion.

That this is a church with no suggestion box. Where nothing flows from the bottom to the top.

It's hard to feel really invested in a church when you have so many people asking you to turn off your brain and talents and just fall in line.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

your points are actually right in line with the principles of the Law of Consecration. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the church eventually does something like what you're saying at some point, as many things have been done over the last 25 years or so to try to help those who have less using the resources freely donated by those who have more. For example, ward budgets are no longer dependent on how affluent the local members are and how much they give to it. Instead, everyone pays their 10% and then budgets are assigned based on need and number of attending members.

It's not going to be perfect because we're still all human, but at least you no longer have the Beverly Hills ward having a ward outing to Hawaii while a ward in a poor part of town can't afford hymnbooks. Yes, those kinds of things really happened back in the day, despite how difficult it might be for some members today to imagine. The same non-thinking, arrogant Cougarboard MORONS claiming you have no right to even talk about this are the same ones who 30 years ago would have blasted the idea of how the church does budgets today. There are other examples of the church trying to change policies to bring us closer to a Zion mentality, such as how much missionaries or their parents pay is the same for everyone rather than based on where you serve, or the Perpetual Education Fund. Those are essentially all church subsidies based on circumstances.

Too many LDS mistake the sustaining of church leaders and loyalty to the church for a fanatical worship of ANY authority at any cost. Just try posting anything on CB complaing even about something completely secular such as an overbearing boss or police corruption and it draws out the same exact idiots automatically assuming you are wrong and the authority HAS to be right. I destest this aspect of pop LDS culture that exists, IMO, mostly within certain geographies of the church, but still exists to some degree everywhere.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-20-2015 at 08:36 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...1&postcount=12
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #4
BlueK

The discussion on cougarboard basically illustrates a common hypocrisy a lot of us share, which is we all want our subsidy, but we resent it when someone who has less than us gets one. It's inherently selfish. I think most of them totally missed the point of what you were asking. What most private schools do is charge a high tuition but provide scholarships and other aids based on need to those who need it. That might be the best way to go.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I want the subsidies even for the rich.

I don't want to be surprised with high costs when my kids get older.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I want the subsidies even for the rich.

I don't want to be surprised with high costs when my kids get older.
I doubt they'll ever do anything that drastically rocks the boat.