cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-15-2016, 03:24 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good win over Zags

The game drove me nuts but it was fun to win in the Kennel.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:26 AM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad we won in spite of not hitting 3s. Two much volatility in being a 3pt team.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:03 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Glad we won in spite of not hitting 3s. Two much volatility in being a 3pt team.
The team defended everybody but Wiltjer well. He torched him except on the last play. Well done Austin. I know I have not always been positive on you, but well done tonight.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This was my first look at this year's Gonzaga squad. The biggest difference between this year and last year is that now they don't have outside shooting. They have athleticism at the guard positions (but no shooting), they have skills in the front court (but not athleticism). So BYU could collapse on the inside, and Gonzaga just lacked the ability to hit shots from the outside and make them pay.

That one guard for Gonzaga in particular would pass up shots and pound the ball like he was being paid by the dribble.

Now the good part of Gonzaga's backcourt is that they can play defense. And we saw how difficult it was for the BYU guards to get any kind of decent look at 3s.

Kyle Collinsworth had a monster offensive game in the second half. He took over. And the key turning point was Sabonis in foul trouble. We made our run when he was on the bench. Gonzaga is not deep enough to sustain him on the bench. It reminds me of Mika. Kid would go into every game knowing that he was the absolute key to winning and he would immediately start making dumb fouls.

Emery had an atrocious game, but did hit the key dagger 3 at the end.

Kyle Davis had a few moments, although he continues to look hopelessly slow and unathletic. Let me take a shot at him--what is he doing rushing in to put ball pressure when the defense rebounds, to swipe at the ball? You are killing our transition defense for a play that has no chance of success. You are slow as a 45 year old man already, GTF back on defense!!!

This BYU team looks a lot different than it did in December, to Rose's credit.

And lastly, boy, WCC sure does miss Haws and Pangos. The quality is not nearly there now without those guys.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I should comment on Nate Austin as well. His signature play was the key block at the end. But just as important, and perhaps more so was when he drew the offensive foul (#4) on Sabonis.

Oh, and let me complain about Kyle Davis again. I don't understand the sets where we have Davis at the top of the 3. He is not a threat to shoot or assist or dribble from there. You might as well bench him.

First look at Jamal Aytes for me in a while. It's just remarkable to me how unathletic that guy is. He looks fat and out of shape and like he can barely run and jump. He got one nice dump-in pass right at the rim, and he had zero elevation and just completely bricked it in traffic.

I don't get why Rose is dumping scholarships on guys like Aytes. Aytes is listed as 6-6, and I guess is a power forward. A slow, earth-bound, too short power forward. He projects at best as a backup with spare minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers or loses his scholarship. The only thing I can think might change this is if he is just grossly out of shape and slow because of injury. But it doesn't appear that way to me. He doesn't like an injured explosive player.

Jordan Chatman had one of the nicest plays of the game, a little baseline floater that was smooth as silk. And Fischer's reverse layup with his left was a thing of beauty.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote