cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ehrman's scholarship a result of personal suffering?

Quote:
My contention with Bart is that he’s a fundamentalist — someone who is unwilling to process an issue in any other way than the black-and-white, either-or fallacy that he himself has framed. I’m sympathetic to him only in the sense that some acute personal suffering appears to be behind his fundamentalism. While I wish there was something I could do to help in that regard, I also have to be honest and say that it seems quite clear that Bart’s personal pain has skewered his scholarship. He’s human.

My greater irritation is the way the masses (aided and abetted by a pathologically ignorant media) swallow whatever Bart says as though its some grand, now self-evident discovery, or think that no one can be looking at the same data and still believe in the reality of the Christ of the gospels. Wrong on both counts. There are many scholars who do what Bart does (textual criticism, New Testament studies) who draw conclusions contrary to Ehrman’s and, more importantly, are capable of judging his method and scholarship.
Way to fool the masses.

http://michaelsheiser.com/TheNakedBi...11-a-response/

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 11-09-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: forgot link
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a mischaracterization of Ehrman's work. Whoever that is is an ass.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I just finished Misquoting Jesus. It's cool he devoted a chapter to explaining the methodology behind textual criticism.

I did not get the sense that the Bible is so corrupt it's unreliable. It wasn't a polemic and it certainly didn't affect my testimony. I don't know why people are so scared of him.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

that's because you have a completely different conception of authority and revelation than the average Protestant Christian.

For them the Bible is literally the tentpole that holds everything up. If the Bible is not perfect, if the Bible is not completely reliable, then the whole thing comes crashing down.

When we say "because God has revealed it" that is not shorthand for "because it is in the Bible." We are much more expansive than that. They are not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote