cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #61
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Heard on the radio this morning that Obama is promising that as President, he will ensure that every American has broadband access to the internet. Gee...that's great Obama. That's about item number 235 on the list of issues the country needs solved. I'm sure a promise to ensure everyone has a laptop computer in order to use this internet access is next. I can see it now...the soup kitchens will soon be asking "chicken noodle or vegetable, Dell or HP?" As people come to claim their new "right" of internet access. I guess if Hillary is promising savings bonds to every baby, Obama has to try something to buy votes also.
If he in fact proposed that, he is nuts.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #62
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Let's hope Lebowski is reading this thread: I'm not the one turning it into a referendum on Tex-hate.
I haven't had time to read all of the posts in this thread. But, oddly, I think I am on your side in this one.

I have a close friend who works in upper management of a company that works with cities all over the country to develop broadband infrastructure. And I have seen the iProvo experiment turn into a financial mess. Developing broadband is extraordinarily expensive and is fraught with difficulties. I have a hard time imagining a federal government solution that would be better than leaving this field to private enterprise, or at least to private/local gov coalitions.

And just because some countries (Korea for example), kick our trash regarding "free" broadband, doesn't necessarily mean we are going about it incorrectly in the long run. This coming from a self-proclaimed geek.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote