cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
They are silly, because they have never happened?

What world do you live in? History is your friend. Educate yourself.
Not ever being in the situation is important.

For example, if I target shoot but never practice in my mind the actual act of shooting a human, I might like most others freeze, delay and not shoot.

Because I am unlikely to be in a situation which generally drains me, and drags me down to depravity, it is unlikely that any of us have any imagination to do something depraved, without more severe circumstances being forced upon us.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You're the guy that broke another person's nose in a basketball game? You love provocation to the point of watching people dissemble and possess a better ability to manipulate and perhaps torture with psychological means, and you wish us to believe you would be meek and mild?

After observing your areas of aggression, this seems unlikely of you.
This is not a contest of who would be the best torturer.

This is a question of what is moral.

If I had the physical prowess and knowledge to assault you and kill you, who cares? That doesn't mean I favor it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO, it's more intellectually honest to say you don't know what you would and wouldn't do to save your family or the lives of others than it is to say you know exactly what you wouldn't do.

Then again, pretending that you do know exactly what you wouldn't do affords you the lofty perch from which to simultaneously rub elbows with GBH and to call people "shit".
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Hilarious.

Spoken like a true adherent to GBH and a disciple of Christ.

7 times 70, my friend.

FAIL
As I suspected, many Mormons are more offended by the use of the word "shit" than they are torture of persons in custody.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
This thread is proof that supposed good member of the LDS church have no ability to think in ethical constructs.

All those years of lessons and talks, and zero ability to form a rationale ethical construct.

FAIL.
Mike instead of being a dickhead, try answering the original questions I posed.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
IMO, it's more intellectually honest to say you don't know what you would and wouldn't do to save your family or the lives of others than it is to say you know exactly what you wouldn't do.

Then again, pretending that you do know exactly what you wouldn't do affords you the lofty perch from which to simultaneously rub elbows with GBH and to call people "shit".
If in the light of day you can't come up with a moral choice, God help you. You have no chance when the darkness comes.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is not a contest of who would be the best torturer.

This is a question of what is moral.

If I had the physical prowess and knowledge to assault you and kill you, who cares? That doesn't mean I favor it.
And you would have us believe you wouldn't use it, when you demonstrate aggression in fields where you can?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #28
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
They are silly, because they have never happened?

What world do you live in? History is your friend. Educate yourself.
You are having a hard time being rational. What world do you live in? I gather you have faced these choices or think you are likely to do so? Give me a break.

You are apparently claiming that you would never, under any circumstance, treat any prisoiner in any manner that you think might be incosistent with the way you would expect GBH to treat them.

I don't beleive you, if this is your position, as it is entiorely inconcistent eith your personality as experssed on this board.

For me, if it was persoanl, I am not sure how far I would go. I like to think I would act like Christ, but I am not sure if I would or not. As to a policy for our government, I whleheartedly endorse ano torture policy.

Rather than hurl invective and insult, why don't you educate me? What history are yout alking about?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #29
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If in the light of day you can't come up with a moral choice, God help you. You have no chance when the darkness comes.
You know what? When and IF the time comes, I'll make the moral choice, but at least then it won't be in some intellectual vacuum.

I won't kill someone to save $0.95 on a Hogi Yogi. I will kill someone if it saves 1,000,000 lives. What happens in between the two is best dealt with on a case by case basis.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 12-12-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You are having a hard time being rational. What world do you live in? I gather you have faced these choices or think you are likely to do so? Give me a break.

You are apparently claiming that you would never, under any circumstance, treat any prisoiner in any manner that you think might be incosistent with the way you would expect GBH to treat them.

I don't beleive you, if this is your position, as it is entiorely inconcistent eith your personality as experssed on this board.

For me, if it was persoanl, I am not sure how far I would go. I like to think I would act like Christ, but I am not sure if I would or not. As to a policy for our government, I whleheartedly endorse ano torture policy.

Rather than hurl invective and insult, why don't you educate me? What history are yout alking about?
I'm arguing about what should be done.

Not about where we fail to do what we should do.

The principle is I will not cheat on my wife. If I am in a room full of Redskin cheerleaders, all nekid, that principle doesn't change.

If in the light of day, you can't formulate what is right, then you will fail when the darkness comes.