cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The real GOP leaders are getting behind McCain, not a Romney run in '12. If Laura Ingraham is one of the "conservative leaders," God help us.

The conservative chattering class was already in Romney's camp btw.
I didn't say Ingraham is one of the leaders! I said she and 30 leaders met with Romney.

This was not the "chattering class."
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The real GOP leaders are getting behind McCain, not a Romney run in '12. If Laura Ingraham is one of the "conservative leaders," God help us.

The conservative chattering class was already in Romney's camp btw.
Don't be silly, Mike. Of course they're getting behind McCain for this election. But if you think they're not keeping their options open for a Romney run in '12, you don't understand politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Sounds an awful lot like "Anyone but Bush!". And we all know how that went for two elections. "he is better than" doesn't inspire people that they are getting someone that can make a difference in their lives and will most likely not vote.
I agree. Believe me, I'm not happy about it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

would you all have felt better about a Romney that gets the nomination and loses in a landslide (in large part due to losing the hispanic vote)?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #14
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
would you all have felt better about a Romney that gets the nomination and loses in a landslide (in large part due to losing the hispanic vote)?
No, because your above scenario would put him in a worse position to win in 2012, than he is in now. Not that I believe your above scenario is what would have happened.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Perhaps. He certainly could have still fought, and it was apparent that many of his supporters, both ardent and lukewarm, expected he would do so. At least for a few more caucuses.

It was a magnificient gesture in uniting the party. Which (he hopes) has the effect of defeating terrorism, by defeating the two Democrat defeatists.

Your little tantrum about that makes as much sense as the people who say buying gasoline supports terrorism.
I love the fact that you (and Romney) actually try to tie election of Democrats to victory for terrorists. It is emblematic of the arrogance of your party and the depths to which you will stoop to win an election.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #16
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I love the fact that you (and Romney) actually try to tie election of Democrats to victory for terrorists. It is emblematic of the arrogance of your party and the depths to which you will stoop to win an election.
The election of Democrats itself is not. The policies they have promised to follow once in office, are.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I don't know that I would call it brilliant. It was really the only move he had left.
The day before Mitt withdrew the NY Times printed a memo from Charles Black (working for McCain) that said Romney was mathematically eliminated. Black wrote that Romney would have to win every state, and by a landslide since some were not winner take all. He was mathematically eliminated. Only cranks stay in in those cirumstances. Mitt is too proud to be reduced to crank status, if nothing else. It wasn't brilliant to quit when he did. It would have been stupid to stay in. It would have been smarter to keep his mouth two days before rather than say he would slog on and be ground to dust, as Adam has noted.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #18
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The election of Democrats itself is not. The policies they have promised to follow once in office, are.
Right. Still holding onto your theory that Iraq had something to do with 9/11 (and then taking another large leap to assume that leaving Iraq has something to do with terrorists "winning")?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #19
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Who are we fighting right now in Iraq that Obama and Hillary are itching so badly to pull back from? Last week they sent two young ladies with Downs Syndrome strapped with explosives into a public market and then detonated the girls remotely. We pull back and those terrorists win.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #20
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Right. Still holding onto your theory that Iraq had something to do with 9/11 (and then taking another large leap to assume that leaving Iraq has something to do with terrorists "winning")?
Of course he is. It makes the Iraq war very easy to justify if you can convince yourself that it is somehow helping the war on terror. Those of us in the "reality based community" have to deal with the tiny possibility that sending hundreds of thousands of our soldiers to play policeman for an irrelevant country while deliberately and explicitly ignoring the terrorists might not be a great strategy. It may, in fact, be inhibiting our ability to fight against actual terrorists. Imagine that.

Tex, feel free to ignore that paragraph and go on accusing Hillary and Obama of surrender, retreat, defeatism, etc. I expect nothing less.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote