cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Cali, if they screw BO out of the nomination you need to vote McCain. That will show 'em. It's the only way to teach them and get them to change the system.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #42
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Yes, that's what I was trying to say. Michigan is up in the air, but it'd be nearly impossible for Obama to take Florida...

Unless they have a caucus, in which case you'd think Obama would take both states.
I totally misread what you wrote. Sadly, I wasn't homeschooled.

I'm happy I was in error. The chink in the armor of BatGirl that I thought I saw is not there. Whew.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #43
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Cali, if they screw BO out of the nomination you need to vote McCain. That will show 'em. It's the only way to teach them and get them to change the system.
I won't vote for Clinton, but I certainly won't vote for McCain either. Write in time.

And the end result could very well be that the party is improved. What a painful lesson it would be, and so pathetic that the party hadn't learned that lesson after Gore and Kerry. Like I said, I don't imagine it will come to that. I think the odds of Obama winning the nomination are higher than 80%.

I have never understood the philosophy that you must vote for the candidate of your party no matter what. All that does is make your party less responsive to what voters actually care about.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #44
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I have never understood the philosophy that you must vote for the candidate of your party no matter what. All that does is make your party less responsive to what voters actually care about.
Hello, 90% of black voters.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #45
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Hello, 90% of black voters.
Hello, Tex. Hello most Mormons.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 03-06-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #46
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I have never voted for a Democrat running for President because I can't force myself to go against my core political principles.

McCain is nowhere near the conservative that I'd rather have, but for me, he's a far better choice than any Democrat could ever be.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #47
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I have never voted for a Democrat running for President because I can't force myself to go against my core political principles.

McCain is nowhere near the conservative that I'd rather have, but for me, he's a far better choice than any Democrat could ever be.
For one in your situation, it seems that the decision should be between voting Republican and staying home, not between voting republican happily and voting republican sadly. Otherwise, Cali is right; there is no motivation for either party to pull their heads out of their asses.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #48
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
For one in your situation, it seems that the decision should be between voting Republican and staying home, not between voting republican happily and voting republican sadly. Otherwise, Cali is right; there is no motivation for either party to pull their heads out of their asses.
No, I always vote. It's just one ballot, but I don't want to be the one that stayed home that could have prevented the worse of the candidates to get into office.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #49
Cali Coug

By the way, Survey USA did some great polling that is posted on dailykos.com right now. It shows some huge differences between a Clinton candidacy and an Obama candidacy.

With Clinton, the states that are solidly in her camp and that lean in her camp total 203 electoral votes. For McCain, it is 201 electoral votes.

With Obama, the states solidly in his camp and that lean in his camp total 229 electoral votes, and McCain gets only 123. In other words, many more states are in play, and for McCain to have any chance he would have to win almost every single toss up state (which includes AK, FL, MI, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NC, ND, PA, TX, VA).

No wonder Rush wants Clinton to come out with the nomination.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #50
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
No, I always vote. It's just one ballot, but I don't want to be the one that stayed home that could have prevented the worse of the candidates to get into office.
Short term benefits v long term benefits.