cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #31
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Not an automatic disqualifier, but it shows poor judgment. It makes a big difference whether there is an apology and remorse. I don't respect men who just up and abandon their wives and children for a mistress. It is a coward's play.
I thought you weren't a high handed cultural moralist. You may be the only person ever to call John McCain a coward. I don't know what if anything you've done to prove your mettle (you do seem somewhat callow), but I bet at 72 he could still fuck you up good, and you'd be scared.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #32
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Powerful rich people have a lot more temptation. It's hard to have compassion for a hypocrite who has traded on his alleged piety, though.
Translation: "I have a mistress too and she ain't cheap."
Old 08-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #33
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Noted Right-Wing pundit and cultural moralist Michael Kinsley:

Quote:
AS for your laundry list of reasons to cover it, I think there's one more much simpler: the MSM told a story about Edwards—they told it often and loud—it was probably one of the best-known and totally accepted stories of the 2008 campaign: John loyally standing by his loyal wife as she deals with cancer. If the story isn't true, they should run a correction. My god, look at the things they run corrections over—the spelling of people's names, and so on. Yet they're leaving this huge story uncorrected, and leaving their readers misinformed. No?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:52 AM   #34
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Noted Right-Wing pundit and cultural moralist Michael Kinsley:
Right. The point is he's a hypocrit. I agree, as noted previously.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-11-2008, 04:54 AM   #35
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought you weren't a high handed cultural moralist. You may be the only person ever to call John McCain a coward. I don't know what if anything you've done to prove your mettle (you do seem somewhat callow), but I bet at 72 he could still fuck you up good, and you'd be scared.
I didn't have any notion of how wounded you were over me calling you boring.

I didn't realize there was anything moral in what I had said. Cowards run away from things. I can with hold judgment and still not want someone making important decisions for me who is the turn their back and run away type.

Nice usage of callow. I keep a thesaurus on my desk as well.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #36
SeattleUte

Quote:
I didn't have any notion of how wounded you were over me calling you boring.

I didn't realize there was anything moral in what I had said. Cowards run away from things. I can with hold judgment and still not want someone making important decisions for me who is the turn their back and run away type.

Nice usage of callow. I keep a thesaurus on my desk as well.
I'm not wounded. I just think your point is a tad facile. I'd understand better if you called such a person selfish or callous or even fiendish. But I think it's simplistic and off the mark to generalize about "running away."

For one thing, such a person may be opting for more problems than he or she would have had had he or she stayed in the unhappy marriage. See Anna Karenina. For another, courts of law establish rules for division of marital property, payment of maintenance and child support, and many divorced parents are good parents, sometimes better than they otherwise would have been. Our society does not criminalize ending a marriage for love.

So if all obligations are complied with incident to the divorce decree and order of child support, and the parent who sought the divorce delivered as a parent, I think according to our civic virtue the person did not "run away," however else you may wish to moralize.

Finally, you say you respect someone who apologizes more. What of John Edwards, who, taken at his word, didn't love his extramarital partner and did it only physical gratification? I wonder too how genuine an apology is that has been extracted under such circumstances. He'd probably rather have never been discovered.

How else has John McCain's life shown him to be one who "runs away from his problems"? Spin it any way you please, it's moralizing. Go ahead and moralize, just be forthright about what it is.

I wasn't aware callow was an obscure word.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-11-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #37
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not wounded. I just think your point is a tad facile. I'd understand better if you called such a person selfish or callous or even fiendish. But I think it's simplistic and off the mark to generalize about "running away."

For one thing, such a person may be opting for more problems than he or she would have had had he or she stayed in the unhappy marriage. See Anna Karenina. For another, courts of law establish rules for division of marital property, payment of maintenance and child support, and many divorced parents are good parents, sometimes better than they otherwise would have been. Our society does not criminalize ending a marriage for love.

So if all obligations are complied with incident to the divorce decree and order of child support, and the parent who sought the divorce delivered as a parent, I think according to our civic virtue the person did not "run away," however else you may wish to moralize.

Finally, you say you respect someone who apologizes more. What of John Edwards, who, taken at his word, didn't love his extramarital partner and did it only physical gratification? I wonder too how genuine an apology is that has been extracted under such circumstances. He'd probably rather have never been discovered.

How else has John McCain's life shown him to be one who "runs away from his problems"? Spin it any way you please, it's moralizing. Go ahead and moralize, just be forthright about what it is.

I wasn't aware callow was an obscure word.
The law often allows what honor forbids. Nevertheless, I used the word "abandon" which you are either ignoring, have forgotten or are inferring far too much.

By the way, I'm not aware of McCain's past on this front and didn't make any of my comments with him in mind, particularly, or with any particular person in mind. Shot birds do flutter, however.

Last edited by UtahDan; 08-11-2008 at 12:30 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #38
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not so concerned about the affair as I am that too many people won't recognize what the affair shows about John Edwards.

He was out there "in your facing it" for the last 6 years. The man of the people. The man looking out for the poor. The soldier in the war against the rich and the powerful. A man of principles.

It isn't my principles I expect him to adhere to as he proclaims who he is, it is his principles. Supposedly one of his strong principles was his "family values". He paraded his wife around and their marriage, someone else didn't. He is a fake.

Any of you really not question that his strong stance for the non-rich is just his way of soothing his guilt over all the money he has and how he earned it. Anyone want to really tell me this isn't a guy who can easily justify anything in his own mind.

If he thinks breaking a marriage covenant is fine and his wife is OK with it, it is none of my business. I am not sustaining him as a GA. However, I do hate dishonesty and disception. At the core, Edwards is a well trained dishonest and deceptive person.

As a final note, those who try to compare this to McCain and his affair or whatever it was upon returning from Viet Nam. Can anyone provide me a clip of him out promoting family values and deceiving the public at that time.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #39
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Edwards allows Clinton (via a surrogate) to remain looming in Obama's shadow.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5553013&page=1

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #40
SeattleUte

Quote:
The law often allows what honor forbids. Nevertheless, I used the word "abandon" which you are either ignoring, have forgotten or are inferring far too much.

By the way, I'm not aware of McCain's past on this front and didn't make any of my comments with him in mind, particularly, or with any particular person in mind. Shot birds do flutter, however.
This post is a mess of internal inconsistencies. It's also dishonest. You didn't have any person in mind? You're lying. I'm no flutterer, but I do call B.S. on disemblers. I like clarity and courage of convictions.

—Paul Auster