cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #21
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Count on it. If he doesn't, you guys can feel free to give me a considerable amount of grief for being wrong.
I agree. Utah is a lock.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #22
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I imagine the honeymoon will be short. The guy has promised you the moon.
Can you point me to any presidential candidate in our lifetimes (use mine, for maximum coverage) who didn't overpromise?

Some more than others, to be sure. I remember Carter doing so in '76, and W did so in 2000. A few days ago, I came across an e-mail from a friend from my youth. He was a rabid liberal in high school and he and I would go at it all the time. Sometime after his years at Cal, he took a huge right turn. A few days before the 2000 election I expressed serious misgivings about W, even though I ended up voting for him. My erstwhile friend sent me the following reassuring e-mail a few days before that election:

"I'll get back to you tomorrow, but hang in there with my man Dubya. He'll do just fine. Remember what a bonehead we former liberals all thought Reagan was, but by the time he ran for President he got my vote twice. Same with GeorgeW -- he is more conservative than his father, and is
only toning down his message because the press wants him to look like a fire-breather. Wait until he gets in with a Republican Congress -- let's see, a flat tax (or consumption), IRS restriction, school vouchers, prayer allowed at football games, three or four right-thinking justices on the Supreme Court, a rebuilt military (and get rid of all women, they're warriors godammit), etc. How's that for starters? We have never had this condition in our or our parents' lifetimes - Republican President and Congress. Please don't give up hope. We can do it." A prophet my friend was not.

On the other hand, I had to smile at a news report this morning that Obama has put together a team whose principal function is to lower expectations for his first term. Duh. Ironically, Sarah Palin would require no such team.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Can you point me to any presidential candidate in our lifetimes (use mine, for maximum coverage) who didn't overpromise?

Some more than others, to be sure. I remember Carter doing so in '76, and W did so in 2000. A few days ago, I came across an e-mail from a friend from my youth. He was a rabid liberal in high school and he and I would go at it all the time. Sometime after his years at Cal, he took a huge right turn. A few days before the 2000 election I expressed serious misgivings about W, even though I ended up voting for him. My erstwhile friend sent me the following reassuring e-mail a few days before that election:

"I'll get back to you tomorrow, but hang in there with my man Dubya. He'll do just fine. Remember what a bonehead we former liberals all thought Reagan was, but by the time he ran for President he got my vote twice. Same with GeorgeW -- he is more conservative than his father, and is
only toning down his message because the press wants him to look like a fire-breather. Wait until he gets in with a Republican Congress -- let's see, a flat tax (or consumption), IRS restriction, school vouchers, prayer allowed at football games, three or four right-thinking justices on the Supreme Court, a rebuilt military (and get rid of all women, they're warriors godammit), etc. How's that for starters? We have never had this condition in our or our parents' lifetimes - Republican President and Congress. Please don't give up hope. We can do it." A prophet my friend was not.

On the other hand, I had to smile at a news report this morning that Obama has put together a team whose principal function is to lower expectations for his first term. Duh. Ironically, Sarah Palin would require no such team.
All candidates overpromise, sure. But though I'm not one for historical hyperbole, I can't think of a presidential candidate who had a thinner resume, who promised more.

And you're dangling a bit of a herring, having your friend put words in Bush's mouth. I don't recall Bush ever promising to get rid of women in the military, or pass a flat tax, maybe you can jog my memory with some real quotes. He did appoint two judicial conservatives to the bench, and the prosecution of the wars aside, I think he did more to rebuild the military than Clinton did to destroy it. Rumsfeld tried valiantly to make the military more lean and responsive than in its (then current) Cold War configuration.

But let's not make this about Bush (YET AGAIN) shall we? Do you disagree that Obamamoonies are exceptionally over-expectant, or not?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 11-03-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #24
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But let's not make this about Bush (YET AGAIN) shall we? Do you disagree that Obamamoonies are exceptionally over-expectant, or not?
Of course they are, as supporters tend to be (see, e.g., my friend's comments).

BTW, though I realize this will provide no deterrent to you, I think the Limbaugh-esque plays on names that exUte, Snipe, and apparently you, find so endearing are both insipid and belie a lack of confidence. And yes, I feel very much the same way about lefties who do the same, and for that matter, the endless references by sports fans in the rivalry to Kryle, Donko, etc.

I read zingers like "Obamamoonies" and think, "man, this guy's got nothin'." You can offer some compelling arguments; don't blow it.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #25
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry, bad question. Certainly some supporters of any candidate go over the top.

I simply believe this election has a disproportionate share, due in large part to Obama setting himself up as the Messiah.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #26
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
due in large part to Obama setting himself up as the Messiah.
What if it's not a set-up? Boy will you be sorry when you find yourself left behind.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

BTW, though I realize this will provide no deterrent to you, I think the Limbaugh-esque plays on names that exUte, Snipe, and apparently you, find so endearing are both insipid and belie a lack of confidence. And yes, I feel very much the same way about lefties who do the same, and for that matter, the endless references by sports fans in the rivalry to Kryle, Donko, etc.

I read zingers like "Obamamoonies" and think, "man, this guy's got nothin'." You can offer some compelling arguments; don't blow it.
the PacMan speaketh.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #28
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Man, you are tightly wound.
I am just asking a question. He said McCain will win. That's fine. He could be right. I am more interested in seeing how he got to his conclusion than I am in his conclusion. Nothing tightly wound about it.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #29
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am just asking a question. He said McCain will win. That's fine. He could be right. I am more interested in seeing how he got to his conclusion than I am in his conclusion. Nothing tightly wound about it.
Except it wasn't a conclusion. It was a joke.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #30
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Count on it. If he doesn't, you guys can feel free to give me a considerable amount of grief for being wrong.
I can see that happening. Still alot of undecideds - if Obama hasn't sealed the deal yet with them he never will. I think they go for McCain, IF they show up.

Also, polls always overstate for dems because of the young people. "Likely voters" who never show up to the polls.

I still think Obama wins, but at some level, I just can't accept that we'll actually vote in someone so liberal as him as President. There's gotta be a few republican leaning folks (like PAC?) who are Obama supporters that have a gut check in the booth that goes something like this: "okay, McC sucks and W screwed the pooch, and maybe it's time to give a democrat a shot, but do I really want someone as liberal and green as THIS democrat?" I think a few will switch.