cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Romney doing well

He's moving up in all the polls after the debate.

I think he's passed the presidential test and the "you're not a loon" test. After all these years, concerns about Mormonism have diminished.

Would you rather take a moderate Mormon, or a BSC evangelical like Bachmann? Romney comes across as perfectly sane in comparison.

Of course, I find myself not necessarily liking many of his positions, and not really trusting his finger to the wind mentality.

But such as it is, it is.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He's moving up in all the polls after the debate.

I think he's passed the presidential test and the "you're not a loon" test. After all these years, concerns about Mormonism have diminished.

Would you rather take a moderate Mormon, or a BSC evangelical like Bachmann? Romney comes across as perfectly sane in comparison.

Of course, I find myself not necessarily liking many of his positions, and not really trusting his finger to the wind mentality.

But such as it is, it is.
He's fighting with Pawlenty to be the "not crazy Republican candidate" in this year's field- and ironically that may disqualify him from contention in the Republican primaries.

Fortunately for Romney, Pawlenty is just awful at campaigning and is less inspiring than a piece of toast. He stands a good chance at being the alternative to crazy this year.

The only other person that right now looks to have any shot is Huntsman, and that's a LOOOOOONG shot. He basically needs the economy to improve and for the election to turn on foreign policy issues. Always possible- look at how 2008 turned out (year of the economy when everyone expected it to be the year of security), but not looking good for him right now.

Obama's sitting pretty.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Obama's sitting pretty.
In the Great Depression of our time, the President who helped make it worse is getting by without a blemish. Tragic. You love to rub salt in our wounds. We really are a dumb, short-sighted people deserving our plight.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

it's Bush's fault.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
it's Bush's fault.
But of course.

Obama's just an innocent victim in all having no blame nor responsibility. We should proud to have him captaining the good ship USS Titanic.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
But of course.

Obama's just an innocent victim in all having no blame nor responsibility. We should proud to have him captaining the good ship USS Titanic.
The economic woes are hardly Obama's fault, if that's what you are suggesting. Overall, I'm quite pleased with his work to date. There are several areas I have been disappointed with to be sure, but in the aggregate I'm happy with the accomplishments.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
The economic woes are hardly Obama's fault, if that's what you are suggesting. Overall, I'm quite pleased with his work to date. There are several areas I have been disappointed with to be sure, but in the aggregate I'm happy with the accomplishments.
Even though we share a common religious community, we share nothing else.

I desire a libertarian philosophy to govern most of government's interaction with society, you prefer social intervention and control through a central government.

I desire a sensible resolution to the mortgage mess, you seemed pleased that he has exacerbated the problem.

You and I must live on completely different planets, and there is no major item with which you and I are in agreement. Your thoughts are so alien, so adverse, I wonder what we would say if we should meet.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
Cali Coug

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Even though we share a common religious community, we share nothing else.

I desire a libertarian philosophy to govern most of government's interaction with society, you prefer social intervention and control through a central government.

I desire a sensible resolution to the mortgage mess, you seemed pleased that he has exacerbated the problem.

You and I must live on completely different planets, and there is no major item with which you and I are in agreement. Your thoughts are so alien, so adverse, I wonder what we would say if we should meet.
Pray tell, what is your "sensible solution" to the mortgage mess that would not involve a "centralized plan" but would rely on "libertarian philosophy?" And what, precisely, do you see that Obama did that exacerbated the problem?

I'm sure we have something in common other than religion....
Old 06-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Quote:
I'm sure we have something in common other than religion....
Poor choice in football teams?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:31 AM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Poor choice in football teams?
Now, now, Ute4ever, you must not tell lies...