cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's good thing I care about civil liberties then, isn't it.
Good for you. Then we are on the same side.

I am very disturbed that an American citizen can be declared an unlawful combatant, without any judicial procedure or counterbalance, and never see the light of day again.

I can't tell you how much it disappoints me that so many professed conservatives don't see the danger in this. Perhaps they are too young to remember the Cold War.

It's amazing that we somehow protected our civil liberties more when we were threatened with nuclear Armageddon than we are when threatened by a man living in a cave in Pakistan.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Of course you don't. Monochrome Tex.
Have any spare peanuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Good for you. Then we are on the same side.

I am very disturbed that an American citizen can be declared an unlawful combatant, without any judicial procedure or counterbalance, and never see the light of day again.

I can't tell you how much it disappoints me that so many professed conservatives don't see the danger in this. Perhaps they are too young to remember the Cold War.

It's amazing that we somehow protected our civil liberties more when we were threatened with nuclear Armageddon than we are when threatened by a man living in a cave in Pakistan.
*Yawn* ... I guess we're back to the torture debate. That time of the month, is it?

Perhaps they are old enough to remember 9/11.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have any spare peanuts?
Come on, Tex. You can do better than that.

Ironically, your refusal to see any moral comparisons "on any level whatsoever" makes you more similar to the Nazis, not less. It's precisely that kind of thinking that is dangerous.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #14
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mike, Mike, Mike, I see over on CB you

answered the question of what would you do to get information out of terrorists with the "what would Jesus do" stuff.

First off, do you really think you know the mind of Jesus? Secondly, I think he is the one who commanded Nephi to kill a guy. Maybe that is not torture, but it is pretty tough.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
answered the question of what would you do to get information out of terrorists with the "what would Jesus do" stuff.

First off, do you really think you know the mind of Jesus? Secondly, I think he is the one who commanded Nephi to kill a guy. Maybe that is not torture, but it is pretty tough.
There are worse things than death, my son.

Now go with the love of God.

[/self righteous]
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You know BYU71, I don't really believe God commanded Nephi to kill Laban.

I mean, I believe it is very well possible.

But I am 100% sure that the Nephi account is of someone who has second-guessed himself thousands of times. The intricate detail and carefully described justification. There is guilt all over that account.

If you commit such an act, there is a terrible price to pay, whether you felt God commanded it or not.

And that's what I am saying: do not pretend that there is no moral cost.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Perhaps they are old enough to remember 9/11.
What's 9/11?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #18
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Come on, Tex. You can do better than that.

Ironically, your refusal to see any moral comparisons "on any level whatsoever" makes you more similar to the Nazis, not less. It's precisely that kind of thinking that is dangerous.
My, my, that is a new one. The more I think I'm not like the Nazis, the more I am like the Nazis! What wonderfully silly logic! I tip my hat to you, though, for coming up with something original in this drab debate.

More and more, I'm finding this obsession with comparing us to the Nazis interesting. It's almost like there's a subliminal desire to identify with them somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Gordon
What's 9/11?
The full-service successor to 7/11. Great slurpies!

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My, my, that is a new one. The more I think I'm not like the Nazis, the more I am like the Nazis! What wonderfully silly logic! I tip my hat to you, though, for coming up with something original in this drab debate.
Of course you think it's silly. It's the monochrome thing again. Or I guess in your case I should say binary.

Let me see if I can help you again. It's not a matter of simply thinking you are "not like the Nazis". It's when you refuse to see any level of comparison with evil on any level whatsoever, that you enter nutjob-land. Because at that point, you can justify almost anything.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #20
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mike, maybe I am just to dumb to analyze

those things. I don't need to figure out in my mind whether Nephi was really commanded to or not. I believe he was, but if I was told it was a metaphor or something it really wouldn't shake me up.

I guess I just don't believe in the lala land concept of how the world can be run. I believe people like Hitler, Stalin, Bin Laden, etc. will come after us until we fall totally under their guidelines as to how things should be done.

If a guy looks like he is about to punch me in the nose, I will hit him first.

As far as Johnny's quote goes. There are things far worse than death.............. Where did you here that quote, from Bin Laden.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote