cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How did Utah lose to UNLV?

Utah has above average midtier talent, some of it very good, and some of it average, but should never have lost, let alone been humiliated by UNLV. I just don't understand your Jekyl and Hyde team.

UNLV lost to Nevada for crying out loud.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Utah has above average midtier talent, some of it very good, and some of it average, but should never have lost, let alone been humiliated by UNLV. I just don't understand your Jekyl and Hyde team.

With the way things have gone so far, expect a win over Louisville, followed by a loss to SDSU at home...

It'll be interesting to see how this team does the rest of the way...and I don't know how anyone could begin to predict wins and losses at this point. Especially since many of the MWC teams have looked up and down this year.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I was at the game and the final score boiled down to failing on simple fundamentals on only three key moments:

-Two dumb, unforced turnovers gave UNLV 10 points, after which they only had to drive a few yards.

-Utah also failed to score from inside the 1 yard line.

There were several other stupid plays from both teams that killed their drives, but you cannot slap an "if only" on every one of them. Rather, those are the three key miscues that kept it from being a 10-7 ballgame in the 4th quarter. That is still a pathetic score, but not 27-0. (Note UNLV's final TD came with three minutes left, and was their easiest drive of the game, it was as though they were marching through the French army).
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

One things that fans tend to forget or ignore is that while they may not be top tier talent, the other team has guys that are good enough to play Division I football. There is talent on the other team.

That said, this Utah team is too inconsistent to know what kind of team it really is. I'm just going to go to the games and have fun.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Shouldn't the question be "How did Utah beat UCLA"?
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
i think the answer is the same for both questions... game planning with utah is never the problem. i believe that kwhit and his staff are very good at pulling together a game plan. i think the utes of the last few years have suffered from mental weakness during games that they should win, and have then shown mental toughness in games that they shouldn't win.

as i have stated earlier... kwhit needs to figure out how to stop the mid-season slumps (granted this year the slump has already started and may be a season-long slump). maybe the problem is that the ute coaching staff doesn't use team leadership effectively. i'm just hypothesizing here, but last year they had a mid-season meeting where weddle and the other leaders got on the same page as the coaching staff and seemed to get the ship straightened out. this year, apparently they had a similar meeting this week and the team leaders seem to be getting more proactive.

one thing that i admire about bronco mendenhall is his use of players as leaders...

in short, maybe whittingham and the other ute coaches are annoying and intolerable micro-managers.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Utah should never have lost to UNLV. That was a piss poor effort in all phases from the top down. Whenever a team plays that poorly in all facets of the game it is my opinion that they were totally unprepared to play.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
Ha that is a question with an obvious answer. Whenever Utah blows out their opponent, it is because the real Utah team showed up. Whenever they lose, it was because they beat themselves.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote