cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 02:59 AM   #1
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Jena 6

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/20...six/index.html

Every time I start to forget how racist Sharpton and Jackson are, they stick their noses into something like this and I remember.

Were the white kids extremely racist? Hell yes. Did they do something extremely despicable? Hell yes. Did that warrant a 6 on 1 "fight"? No way.

What lessons are these parents and leaders teaching their children? Responding to racism with violence is okay? Martin Luther King, Jr. would be disappointed to see the lack of progress some areas of the country have made to this point in history.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post

Every time I start to forget how racist Sharpton and Jackson are, they stick their noses into something like this and I remember.

Were the white kids extremely racist? Hell yes. Did they do something extremely despicable? Hell yes. Did that warrant a 6 on 1 "fight"? No way.

What lessons are these parents and leaders teaching their children? Responding to racism with violence is okay? Martin Luther King, Jr. would be disappointed to see the lack of progress some areas of the country have made to this point in history.
I agree with you 99% (if it was 100, i wouldnt be able to live with myself)
Old 09-21-2007, 04:26 AM   #3
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I've learned that since I'm white I have absolutely no right to criticize black folks for any reason. So I'll refrain.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I've learned that since I'm white I have absolutely no right to criticize black folks for any reason. So I'll refrain.
I've already been branded a racist here, so I have no such qualms.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Attempted murder for a school fight? Are you kidding me? I've seen them growing up and nobody ever got anything more than a suspension. These charges are ridiculous.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Attempted murder for a school fight? Are you kidding me? I've seen them growing up and nobody ever got anything more than a suspension. These charges are ridiculous.
What was the damage done to the one kid who got jumped by six others?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
ChinoCoug

Quote:
What was the damage done to the one kid who got jumped by six others?
suspended. and that was what should have happened to the six kids who jumped him. Suspended. Not charged with attempted murder.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
suspended. and that was what should have happened to the six kids who jumped him. Suspended. Not charged with attempted murder.
No, physical damage done by those who jumped him.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
ChinoCoug

Quote:
No, physical damage done by those who jumped him.
bad but not enough to merit attempted murder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena_Six
Quote:
A doctor treated Barker, who was left unconscious after the attack, at the local hospital. He was released after two hours of treatment and observation for a concussion and an eye that had swollen shut.[11] The emergency physician's record shows that he also had injuries to his face, ears and hand.[20] He was able to attend his school's Ring ceremony that evening,[11] though he later testified, "I waited 11 years to go to it. I wasn't going to let that get in my way," and that he ended up leaving early due to pain.[21]

During the trial, Barker also testified that his face was badly swollen after the attack and that he suffered a loss of vision in one eye for three weeks. He also stated that he suffered recurring headaches and forgetfulness[22] since the attack, though medical tests have not detected a definitive cause or proof of this statement.[21] A nurse testified that Barker had a previous history of migraines.[22]
Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This doesn't happen in just Jenna. I have a friend whose kid was involved with kids who got in a fight off campus in a Davis County City. A couple of kids inovlved were poly's. My buddies kid and the poly's got felony convictions. You beat someone up these days and it isn't a little slap on the wrist anymore like it used to be.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote