cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 AM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
In my experience the two whiniest fan bases on earth are BYU and Utah. I have very few issues with Utenation pissing and moaning about BYU's whininess, I just scratch my head when Utes will claim that BYU dorkiness and whining is why they are Ute fans. If finding a non-dorky fanbase were trully important to Utenation, the attendance smack from dorky BYUites would be true.

As for the meat of this post, I have been outspoken on my opinions on Bronco's outspoken confidence. I don't think BYU will suck but there is no way anyone can convince me that BYU will be great this year until I see it with my own eyes. I think Insensitive Pap's post on there just flat out being too little experience is a fact. I see BYU as a solid 8-4 or 7-5 team. I just cannot fathom BYU winning 9 games this year. I have my issues with Bronco's confidence because I think it creates superflous issues with the fanbase. His comments fan the flames of expectations and I just don't think that is wise. The last thing Bronco and this program needs are jaded fans and with his rhetoric I think a higher percentage of the fanbase will be jaded if the Y goes 7-5 than if he had taken a Lavell like approach. I think Bronco does it because he believes in consistency and making it public that he will not back off his expectations for the program. It is bold and as Santos pointed out, he is putting his neck and credibility on the line. I just think it could create stress and issues that need not be created.

As far as copying LDS rhetoric. It is dorky, but it is also BYU and it makes the fanbase tied with BYU for being whiny bitches to whine. However, the LDS Church stole the adage from someone else and BYU is the LDS church owned school so why would it not use the same marketting slogans?
Fake boobs. Your thoughts?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #12
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Fake boobs. Your thoughts?
Man's gift to man, we are all in search of our real life freeze frame of Jamie Lee Curtis.....
Old 08-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Man's gift to man, we are all in search of our real life freeze frame of Jamie Lee Curtis.....
Ah, the marvels of saline and silicone. Fortunately for Jamie Lee, it was addition by subtraction at a young age.

As to your point about Bronco's expectations, you hit the nail on the head. A lot of fans will look at a solid 8-4/7-5 team as one that sucks. This isn't just because BYU fans have unrealistic expectations, but it's also due to an unrealistic message sent by the coach and team.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:03 AM   #14
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Ah, the marvels of saline and silicone. Fortunately for Jamie Lee, it was addition by subtraction at a young age.

As to your point about Bronco's expectations, you hit the nail on the head. A lot of fans will look at a solid 8-4/7-5 team as one that sucks. This isn't just because BYU fans have unrealistic expectations, but it's also due to an unrealistic message sent by the coach and team.
I disagree.

I think that if you don't have high expectations, you will only get high results on accident, and that only so often. I do not believe that #15, 11-2, and a solid defeat of a #4 Pac 10 team in a pre-christmas bowl is as good as we can get. I don't demand that we play in a BCS bowl game every year, or that I never endure another season of 9 wins or less; I do think that to shoot for less in any season is giving up from the start.

Would an 8-4/7-5 team be a dissapointment? Sure, given the higher goals that had been aspired to, but I think BYU should only set lower expectations if it is impossible to achieve greater ones. I won't be disappointed if, for example, BYU doesn't win the Super Bowl.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:10 AM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I disagree.

I think that if you don't have high expectations, you will only get high results on accident, and that only so often. I do not believe that #15, 11-2, and a solid defeat of a #4 Pac 10 team in a pre-christmas bowl is as good as we can get. I don't demand that we play in a BCS bowl game every year, or that I never endure another season of 9 wins or less; I do think that to shoot for less in any season is giving up from the start.

Would an 8-4/7-5 team be a dissapointment? Sure, given the higher goals that had been aspired to, but I think BYU should only set lower expectations if it is impossible to achieve greater ones. I won't be disappointed if, for example, BYU doesn't win the Super Bowl.
What are you expecting if 8-4 would be a disappointment? Losing all that offense off a 10-2 team, I just don't see how expectations could be that high.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:13 AM   #16
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What are you expecting if 8-4 would be a disappointment? Losing all that offense off a 10-2 team, I just don't see how expectations could be that high.
I'm not saying I couldn't feel okay about it at the end of the year, but I don't think that you should go into the Arizona game saying, "We can do it! Win eight games! YEEEAAAHH!!!"

There's nothing wrong with having a high goal and working to achieve it. I'd rather shoot for 12-0 and get 8-4 than shoot for 8-4 and get 8-4.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:18 AM   #17
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
I disagree.

Nothing wrong with high expectations, but I don't think it's wise to publicize them as the marketing slogan. Especially when the slogan is saying that if they lose more than one game, the season is a failure.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 AM   #18
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default Think about it

Quote:
In my experience the two whiniest fan bases on earth are BYU and Utah. I have very few issues with Utenation pissing and moaning about BYU's whininess, I just scratch my head when Utes will claim that BYU dorkiness and whining is why they are Ute fans. If finding a non-dorky fanbase were trully important to Utenation, the attendance smack from dorky BYUites would be true.

As for the meat of this post, I have been outspoken on my opinions on Bronco's outspoken confidence. I don't think BYU will suck but there is no way anyone can convince me that BYU will be great this year until I see it with my own eyes. I think Insensitive Pap's post on there just flat out being too little experience is a fact. I see BYU as a solid 8-4 or 7-5 team. I just cannot fathom BYU winning 9 games this year. I have my issues with Bronco's confidence because I think it creates superflous issues with the fanbase. His comments fan the flames of expectations and I just don't think that is wise. The last thing Bronco and this program needs are jaded fans and with his rhetoric I think a higher percentage of the fanbase will be jaded if the Y goes 7-5 than if he had taken a Lavell like approach. I think Bronco does it because he believes in consistency and making it public that he will not back off his expectations for the program. It is bold and as Santos pointed out, he is putting his neck and credibility on the line. I just think it could create stress and issues that need not be created.

As far as copying LDS rhetoric. It is dorky, but it is also BYU and it makes the fanbase tied with BYU for being whiny bitches to whine. However, the LDS Church stole the adage from someone else and BYU is the LDS church owned school so why would it not use the same marketting slogans?

If BYU were to go 10-2, Bronco would have to be freaking Bear Bryant, and even then, where does he go from there? Does he keep raising the bar until LES is lifted up to heaven like the City of Enoch?

He's leaving himself with nowhere to go but down. I admire him for it, but I worry about the resulting psychology. Unless you are a good 21 points better than your competition, you can count on 3 coin flip games a year, and those aren't hard to lose. BYU fans can be brutal in their expectations, and Bronco is jacking them up to unprecedented heights.

Every year you see teams crash and burn when the ball bounces against them early. So far, Bronco's teams have overcome slow starts to become much better teams at the end of the year. Who knows, maybe he has figured it out and he is our football manna, but that would put him in the football genius category, and I don't know if we get two of those in our lifetime.

I still think there is a good chance Bronco ends up in the loony bin when things go awry, but he does have a couple things going for him. . .1) he plays in a bad conference that can be dominated, and 2) he just might be peculiar enough to accomplish his goals.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:05 AM   #19
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not saying I couldn't feel okay about it at the end of the year, but I don't think that you should go into the Arizona game saying, "We can do it! Win eight games! YEEEAAAHH!!!"

There's nothing wrong with having a high goal and working to achieve it. I'd rather shoot for 12-0 and get 8-4 than shoot for 8-4 and get 8-4.
This a semantics thing, then, because that's not expectations to me. Expectations means you're disappointed when it doesn't happen and you're pleasantly surprised when you exceed them.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #20
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

8-4 is minimum for my happiness level. It has nothing to do with what Bronco says. It has more to do with my buy in of his system. You know the discipline thing, the spiritual thing and whatever psychological things he is using on his team.

I think most great coaches do something to get their team to play at a higher level. I think Bronco is like Urban in many ways. Bronco has a spiritual thing to motivate and drive his players and Urban uses something else. They are both tools for their situation. Bottom line is they are both self disciplined guys who are if nothing else, consistent.

We are not playing a ND schedule. We aren't even playing a Utah schedule. If we go 10-2 I will not annoint Bronco a god-like coach, although I will probably make an effort to attend a fireside.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote