cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 07-31-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU Volleyball

There is an intern at our office who is a volleyball player for Ohio State. We had a chat today at lunch and he made the comment that BYU is well known for being unethical when recruiting volleyball players. Does anybody know what he is talking about? I don't pay much attention to volleyball, but I remember a coach being unceremoniously let go a couple of years ago.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
There is an intern at our office who is a volleyball player for Ohio State. We had a chat today at lunch and he made the comment that BYU is well known for being unethical when recruiting volleyball players. Does anybody know what he is talking about? I don't pay much attention to volleyball, but I remember a coach being unceremoniously let go a couple of years ago.
The UCSB coach Ken Preston and Al Scates of UCLA accused BYU of illegal recruiting practices. This occurred when Joe Hillman transferred from UVSC and had played club there for a few years or something like that and also when Victor Batista joined the ball club. There was some discussion about Cala too the way he defected from Cuba while playing for the Cuban National Team. Also, Moreno lost his senior year of eligibility when it was discovered he wasn't taking enough major courses to advance towards a degree.

Peterson resigned amidst an admitted NCAA investigation. But all three players were cleared and as far as I know, no sanctions were ever levied against the program.

More than anything, it's BYU's recruiting abroad that upsets most of these other programs. And these kids have been playing at professional levels for quite some time which has brought into question their eligibility. It doesn't help that both Lewis and Hawaii have had titles stripped for these same sorts of violations.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Interesting. Thanks for posting that Surfah.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

It looks like the NCAA is still investigating.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,680194714,00.html
Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

It's interesting that your friend said BYU is "unethical". As Surfah pointed out, BYU's VB program has never been charged with a formal violation and never had formal sanctions. Either the rules were violated or they weren't. If they weren't, then what is "unethical" about doing whatever it takes to win within the bounds of the rules?

Barring concrete evidence of rule breaking, charges of being "unethical" by the likes of Al Scates are just so much sour grapes.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote