cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 11-04-2008, 05:38 AM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
We've made the decisions about what we want, but the most important decision is one I'm really having a difficult time making:

Which toilet do I go with?

Seriously. Because I've never remodeled a bathroom, I have no idea.

Suggestions?
IPU, there is one correct answer here: TOTO. And I am being completely serious. This was one of the best parts of our remodel a few years ago. It is a Japanese company, and the Japanese really know their shit about toilets (so to speak).

You need two parts. First of all, select your toilet:

http://www.totousa.com/residentialtoiletsearch.asp

I think we got the Drake 2-piece. Don't get the Pacifica with the vertical sides on the bottom. You will have to reconfigure your plumbing. We got that one and had to take it back. In the 2-3 year period we have had this thing, it has NEVER clogged. They say you can flush 20 golf balls at a time.

Next, you pick your washlet seat:

http://www.totousa.com/washlet_chart.asp

You should definitely go with the S300. Pricey, but worth every penny.

I don't know if you have ever used one of these, but they are awesome. Almost every home in Japan has one (or two or three).

You can get them at Standard Plumbing here in Utah. The folks at the Orem store told me that TOTO brand is their best-seller.

You can thank me later.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:41 AM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

One more thing, you may need to run a wire to the wall next to your toilet. The main unit (washlet) requires an electrical outlet. The remote control runs on batteries and attaches to to wall. You don't need to do anything special with your plumbing. It all fits standard connections.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that info Jeff.

20 golf balls? That sounds like what I'm looking for. I want a man's toilet. The wife can do the rest of the bath as she sees fit.

I'll stop in at Standard Plumbing tomorrow and take a look.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #14
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Jeff is correct. The TOTO is the way to go.

My bro used them in his house for his kids, who previously managed to clog the toilet at least once a week.

Since that time, he's had just ONE clog, which required a plumber to use an auger to drill whatever the kid flushed out of the pipe.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 AM   #15
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
They put them in at the new park in the city. It was like 80* out and they were freezing. I can't imagine what they'd be like in the dead of winter.

I've got two theories. Either
(1) This was a guy's idea
or
(2) This is part of a toilet-use-avoidance initiative. They figure if the toilets are too painful to use, they won't ever have to be cleaned.
What I read in the paper is that they use stainless steel in parks because they are more difficult to vandalize then the porcelain ones. I guess vandals like to smash the latter.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote