cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 05-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BOM Gaining Steam in American Literature Circles

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-academia.html
Old 06-01-2017, 04:27 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

that's interesting.

I don't know anything about queer theory, but suddenly I am very interested in what the Book of Mormon being taught through queer theory is like.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://religionandpolitics.org/2017/...ary-treatment/

Last edited by MikeWaters; 06-01-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
That article was more thorough.

A couple of interesting points:

1. The BOM being published by Penguin and U of I led to its inclusion in syllabi.

2. I asked Terryl Givens, about four years ago, about the impact of Grant Hardy's Oxford book. He said up to then he hasn't heard any non-Mormons talking about it. Things have changed. I guess

Quote:
Given that the Book of Mormon is also a text that purports to be a history of ancient Israelities who crossed the Atlantic to become American Indians, Hickman prods his students towards creative interpretations of the Book of Mormon’s treatment of indigenous peoples, asking them why, during the era of Indian removal, an American Scripture would also be “a history of Indians.”
Not only that, the Book says Indians would kick whites off the land if they don't repent.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:01 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Bushman talks about the Book of Mormon as a counter-cultural work, one that depicts an Indian Apocalypse where the white fair people are destroyed. Rather than the actual belief and ongoing narrative in America of the whites destroying the Indians.

It's probably hard for us to understand the Book of Mormon in the same way as Joseph Smith's contemporaries did. According to Bushman with the revelation of Jackson County, they viewed the second coming as imminent. The idea of an apocalypse was not so far-fetched to them, as occurring near and soon.

As the idea that saints would gather in Jackson County died out (in Nauvoo period), it seems that some of these ideas started to fade away. And JS had the revelation that I still don't understand, that if he lived to such and such old age, he would see something or another related to the second coming.