cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 02-03-2017, 05:38 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vs. Gonzaga

You know what drives me crazy? The idea of Nick Emery as a rim protector. He's like "I'm gonna guard the backside of the lane, and Ima gonna leave my man wide open at the 3."

Is there actually anyone on the BYU coaching staff that reviews film and tries to coach the team up?

Do they need some help? Should I record commentary on the game and send it to the coaches?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

LJ Rose needs to be benched permanently. The ball rotates and finally finds him for the open shot. And he never shoots! Huge liability.

TJ is making strides. Continues to develop and show his upside.

Nick Emery shows again his downside. Dumb fouls, horrible shots, helping on defense off his man inexplicably. It would have been better if he had never played.

Surprisingly Gonzaga struggled against the 1-3-1. It seems every other team gets wide open shots on the baseline against this defense. It didn't help that Mika and Kaufusi both fouled guys shooting 3s.

There were also too many times that BYU didn't have good transition defense. Too many guys crashing for boards. Long rebounds led to 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 breaks.

The 2nd half defense was an improvement. Gonzaga didn't look like a #1 team in the 2nd half. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

But BYU never seriously threatened in this game, never had the lead. Never had the game down to 1 possession or even 2 possessions. The talent/coaching level was just too disparate.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote