cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Literae Humaniores

Old 05-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Classicists, please read

I'd like you guys and gals to read The Hebrew Pharaohs of Egypt and dissemble the author's arguments, Ahmed Osman.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'd like you guys and gals to read The Hebrew Pharaohs of Egypt and dissemble the author's arguments, Ahmed Osman.
So I'm curious as to how you heard about this book and decided to read it? Did you know it was originally published in 1987 under the title "Stranger in the Valley of Kings"?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
Archaea

It was one I had heard about and decided to try it out, when I was doing my weekly run to Barnes and Nobles.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It was one I had heard about and decided to try it out, when I was doing my weekly run to Barnes and Nobles.
Well, I was curious. So I searched the databases. I cannot find a single instance of scholarly material either by Osman or referencing Osman. This is interesting in light of his claim that the book is the "culmination of over twenty years of writing and research." I did, however, find two scholarly reviews of the book, if you're interested.

Anyway, I have just read the first chapter so I have some more reading to do before I have anything to say.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:08 AM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Well, I was curious. So I searched the databases. I cannot find a single instance of scholarly material either by Osman or referencing Osman. This is interesting in light of his claim that the book is the "culmination of over twenty years of writing and research." I did, however, find two scholarly reviews of the book, if you're interested.

Anyway, I have just read the first chapter so I have some more reading to do before I have anything to say.
My guess is, by virtue of the fact that it runs counter to current thinking, it will be poorly received.

But, I do like how he rejects or at least undermines many of the claims of the Hyksos. Whether his theories are valid may be in question, but his challenges to existing theories sound more plausible.