cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a combination of her statements is true. It's historic, the damage is done and real, and it is unclear whether/how much this makes us safer. All along this was about ideology, and not really what the man himself does.

Does the legend of OBL die out, or does it continue and grow stronger? Hopefully it dies out. But history has shown us how the ideas of some are perpetuated in the forms of violence decades after the originator is gone (*see Communism).

But who would have thought, in the early 1980s, that by 2011, Communism would be almost dead and gone as a force in the world? Hopefully OBL and AQ become such a footnote, with the advent of the Arab Spring.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
But who would have thought, in the early 1980s, that by 2011, Communism would be almost dead and gone as a force in the world? Hopefully OBL and AQ become such a footnote, with the advent of the Arab Spring.
Which member of the Navy Seal Six team do you suppose was Teancum? Because after killing Amalickiah, he also killed Ammoron and testified, "BOOM, bitches!"

On a side note, it's been well prophesied what the state of the US government will be like at the dawn of the second coming, and I find it cute how the proud, proud, anal GOP die hards want so badly for their party to be the one in power when it happens. Idiots.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Best line of the week on this goes to Milton Wolf:

"Obama got bin Laden just like Nixon reached the moon."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15382931
Old 05-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #16
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Obama's approval ratings are at their highest point since he was a greenie in 2009.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/5...s-bin.html.csp

It's kind of funny how GOP apologists say Bin Laden has been dead for years but Obama just now announced it so he would have high enough ratings to be reelected. Someone needs to buy those fools a calendar.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Obama's approval ratings are at their highest point since he was a greenie in 2009.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/5...s-bin.html.csp

It's kind of funny how GOP apologists say Bin Laden has been dead for years but Obama just now announced it so he would have high enough ratings to be reelected. Someone needs to buy those fools a calendar.
I remember when Bush 1 was riding high after the commencement of the First Gulf War. We know now how that ended up for him in seeking re-election.

The public is fickle. Let's hope it continues and they ride him out of town for the continued collapse of our economy. Of course, in two years, the Dems will blame the economic failure on Bush 2.

In three areas, Obama is dead wrong. On his handling of health care, on his handling of Mortgage Mess and his view on taxation.

He has not exactly handled our military correctly. So that's a fourth thing. The four most important aspects, he's dead wrong. Who cares about the symbolic issues? I don't.

Obama has for me.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #18
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

I didn't vote for Obama, but I don't dislike his presidency so far, speaking generally, speaking as a whole. He's had his brutal moments and questionable decisions, but I don't look at his every move through a GOP smokescreen; I try to look at politics objectively. I initially liked that he wanted universal health care, and liked that he at least tried to establish it, but I don't like the end result.

I initially liked that he wanted to close Gitmo, didn't like that he waffled on it, but now I like that it still exists. Too bad Osama bin Laden wasn't buried somewhere in-between the helicopter landing pad and the walkway to the prison.

I liked that he invested $$$$ in bailouts and stimuli, but the long-term success or failure of such acts can't be measured this soon. It's like when the Dallas Cowboys fired Tom Landry after a 3-13 season and hired Jimmy Johnson, who cleaned house, installed a new system and they went only 1-15 during his first year. They would eventually win Super Bowls, but it took time. We don't know if Obama's policies will win Super Bowls, or merely make the playoffs, or merely pull even at 8-8. But he inherited a team that went 3-13 and it's too soon to judge his impact on the economy. GOP apologists are howling at his record while they can.

What I don't like are the GOP apologists who attack his every move, even when he sides and agrees with GOP policy; they show that they are so loyally opposed to everything he does that they up and abandon their own policies. Creation of universal health care. Foreign policy. Afghanistan.

Like I already said, I didn't vote for Obama, but the actions of Boehner and Co. over these past two years have largely swung me away from their party due to their stupid, hypocritical, dumbed-down attacks on anything the Executive Office does. The GOP has shown a great lack of character over these past two years. I believe the contemporary slang is "bunch of bitter, whiny zoobs." I understand that circumstances change, so sometimes policies and goals change. But what is sickening is when their only reasoning for changing a position is because it has become something that the POTUS now agrees with.

Some days I have to drive through rural stretches and the only stations that come through are playing Rush Limbaugh. It makes me wonder what type of person can listen to his rants and actually soak it up? People who don't follow politics, for one. People who solely rely on the Sean Hannitys and Glenn Becks of the world for their information. People who see nothing wrong with the line "let me tell you what the left believes." Elder Oaks once said that the quickest way to lose your testimony of the BOM is to fail to give it equal time with the ways of the world. Rather than balancing scripture time with learning new philosophies, they abandon one side altogether and end up lost.

It's ironic to hear Obama being criticized as having swung much further right than the person he presented himself as during the campaign. The very emergence of the Tea Party shows that there's a significant portion of the right who feels the GOP has become too liberal....the very GOP that blasts Obama for shifting to the middle. So where exactly do you fit in, GOP? It's not next to the Tea Party. You are closer to the very Executive Office that you so claim to despise, but are too blinded by bitterness to see it. You are upset that your party isn't the one in charge, your party isn't the one that would be largely making the exact same decisions, largely promoting the same policies. I kind of feel bad for the clowns who soak up all of their nonsensical propaganda, such as the straw-grasping statement that Bin Laden has been dead for years and Obama hid it from the American people to win an election. An election that's 18 months away. For this idea to work, first of all a person must kindly overlook the fact that the "dead for years" scenario meant that the cover up began with their very own GEORGE W. BUSH.

Last edited by ute4ever; 05-11-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #19
Archaea

It's not a question of liking the Republicans, it's a question of disliking what he's doing. I don't care for many of the Republican ideas either.

I specifically detest his health care reform. It's abominable. The process he followed was egregious and outrageous.

I dislike his investment in the bailouts, and following up on Bush. He incentivized the banks to foreclose rather than to modify the principal balances. If he had done this, instead of following the advice of the banking industry, he would have stabilized the real estate prices in markets where it was hard hit. He went with the banks to incentivize them to foreclose which keeps the bottom falling and falling.

I don't like his policy in Afghanistan, as we don't seem to have one. I don't like his policy in Iraq and I abhor his policy in Libya.

What is there to like about his presidency? I didn't like his Supreme Court appointment, another Harvard NY. Geeze.

I can't see anything that recommends his presidency.

His tax policy to pay for his bailouts are bad ideas.

The economy is in the tank thanks to Bush and his policies. There is absolutely nothing to recommend him. Nothing that actually affects most people.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #20
Archaea

My positions will not be adopted.

I favor libertarian ideals with respect to civil liberties and governance. We should spend almost no time discussing gay rights or abortion, as that is not the province of government. Get government out of marriage by making everything a civil union and leave marriage to religious sects.

We should reduce the size of the federal bureaucracy, reverse the incentives to foreclose and penalize the banking system if they fail to modify principal on mortgages. The federal insurance on the foreclosed mortgages should be canceled to incentivize the markets to respond appropriately.

We should keep government out of health care reform and start with state level insurance reform.

Taxes need to be tightened even if we default on government obligations. Spending must be reduced and social security should be an option.