cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #51
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
In Quebec spring fever is a very real thing. As soon as it hits about 60 degrees following th elong winter people start shedding their clothes in alarming fashion. Sometimes the alarm was good (young women) sometimes not so good (old fat guys in speedos or less). Because the winters are so sever in Quebec, many people actually seal off their front doors in the winter so the only operable door is the entry to the House through the garage. SO to tract you actually need to walk into the garage and knock ont he door. In the spring we would frequently need to walk through the garage and into the back yard where people would be in various states of undress. Sadly, none of these were like Elke Sommers, but to a 20 year old some were surprisingly close.

I also tracted into a full on orgy once and the door was answered by a completely nude man and a completely nude woman who were both giggling. In the background were many people in assorted states of, um, activity. My companion just stared. I said we had a message but it would probably be better if we came back later. The woman giggled something about us coming anytime we wanted to. We thanked her and we left. We stopped tracting that night and just went home.
I like the way you guys diverted the dark material on baseball baptisms into silliness.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #52
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I like the way you guys diverted the dark material on baseball baptisms into silliness.

You obviously have little regard for the retention ability of the average thread reader.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #53
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
there are only two YM in my ward who are not part-latino. And only one of two is white.

No latinos and at least a quarter of my stake disappears.
I wonder if you or others on this board are discouraged by the demographics of your your stake? Are there some that face challenges in their callings because the majority of the YM are latino? Or is the opportunity to help the latino YM realize their potential embraced?

As I mentioned in other posts, I joined the Church when I was 16 y/o. For two years, I was the only fully active Priest age YM in my ward. I am very fond of my YM president/Quorum advisor as well as my SS teacher. Most often than not, I was the only one attending their classes and yet they prepared as if their calling was the most important calling they had ever had. They greatly influence my life and to this date, I am very thankful.

I have never lived in a ward/stake with the demographics as Mike's ward/stake. I have always been a proponent of not separating wards because of language. The more often we serve and worship together, the easier to bridge any "racial" gaps that may still exist.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #54
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
I wonder if you or others on this board are discouraged by the demographics of your your stake? Are there some that face challenges in their callings because the majority of the YM are latino? Or is the opportunity to help the latino YM realize their potential embraced?

As I mentioned in other posts, I joined the Church when I was 16 y/o. For two years, I was the only fully active Priest age YM in my ward. I am very fond of my YM president/Quorum advisor as well as my SS teacher. Most often than not, I was the only one attending their classes and yet they prepared as if their calling was the most important calling they had ever had. They greatly influence my life and to this date, I am very thankful.

I have never lived in a ward/stake with the demographics as Mike's ward/stake. I have always been a proponent of not separating wards because of language. The more often we serve and worship together, the easier to bridge any "racial" gaps that may still exist.
Our stake has a separate spanish speaking ward. I have often wondered if we would be better served by eliminating this unit. The problem, I am told, is that this would work well for the young, but the older members do not speak english well.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #55
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Hey, this was your doing. We were wallowing in shame and self-loathing until you mentioned nubile frauleins. Thank you for lifting our spirits yet again.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #56
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My MP was a kind gentle soul, a dentist from Murray or Sandy I forget which. I don't remember his political or scriptural insights, but I was certain he cared for each of us missionaries and love the German people.

In one sense, we served in a land where the people did not want us, did not respect us and in many respects did not need us. We spoke bad German, were not particularly educated, lived amongst the poorest Turks who were hated by the Germans. One German explained it to me, "if I see a Turk in the road and a dog, and I must hit and kill one of them, I hit the Turk." That crass attitude was typical of German people and members.

The weather sucked, it either rained, snowed or prepared to rain. The food was fatty and not good for you. There were few members and fewer investigators, except those who wished to heckle you. The whole mission stood still when missionaries experienced a singular baptism of an investigator.

Yet despite some of the most miserable conditions I enjoyed working, learning and doing something I thought might be useful. It was an experience I'm glad I discovered and served in limited ability. It introduced me to continental attitudes, being able to be happy despite conditions and it taught me perseverance. May my kids be so blessed.
That was a great post, Archaea. Thanks for it.

Your MP was from Murray and a good man. If I mention his name amongst the old timers in Murray, they have nothing but good to say about him. That you have fond memories of him and his ways is not surprising.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #57
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Our stake has a separate spanish speaking ward. I have often wondered if we would be better served by eliminating this unit. The problem, I am told, is that this would work well for the young, but the older members do not speak english well.
Starting in two weeks we are going to have an interpreter on the stand to translate for the Spanish speaking members of the ward. That will be a first for me.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #58
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post

it's not particularly been a challenge for me, but it's been a challenge overall to the stake.

For example, they combined a relatively affluent white ward with a spanish-speaking ward, and both sides were upset, but it has worked out ok.

Problems with the remaining spanish speaking ward not sending any YM on missions, despite having the most YM.

Not all the spanish-speakers choose to be in the spanish-speaking ward of course.

Some of them have issues with language, illegal immigration status, poverty, lack of educational excellence etc.

For me the most part it is the challenge of class as much as it is the challenge of culture. But I haven't noticed problems in my ward.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #59
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Starting in two weeks we are going to have an interpreter on the stand to translate for the Spanish speaking members of the ward. That will be a first for me.
Visiting speakers to our stake's spanish ward must eiother speak spanish or the ward provides a translator. As a speaker it si nivce becasue it means your talk only needs to be half as long.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:35 AM   #60
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
it's not particularly been a challenge for me, but it's been a challenge overall to the stake.

For example, they combined a relatively affluent white ward with a spanish-speaking ward, and both sides were upset, but it has worked out ok.

Problems with the remaining spanish speaking ward not sending any YM on missions, despite having the most YM.

Not all the spanish-speakers choose to be in the spanish-speaking ward of course.

Some of them have issues with language, illegal immigration status, poverty, lack of educational excellence etc.

For me the most part it is the challenge of class as much as it is the challenge of culture. But I haven't noticed problems in my ward.

I believe most, if not all, of the above challenges would be solved by eliminating the spanish speaking unit. The ward could still offer the option of a Spanish speaking SS/PH/RS lesson period, but Sacrament meeting, PH & RS opening excercises would be in English with the ward providing translators. The YM/YW meetings should all be conducted in English. I have no doubt that the number of YM going on missions will increase. The Spanish speaking bros and sisters need to be integrated as quickly and as smoothly as possible. I suspect their may be some resistance at first, but with an inspired leadership calling some latino bros and sisters into leadership positions, the integration can take place and the stake as whole will prosper.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote