cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I think W's re-election was more about a sitting President during wartime. You generally don't boot them out in the middle of it.

I think if W were allowed to run again this year, he would have been booted, though, so who knows about my theory.

The Palin base would have an even tougher time defending her incompetence if she were subjected to the scrutiny of a Presidential candidate. As it stands, they had a tough enough time defending an interview with Katie Couric and a prank call by some Canadian DJs. Her debate wasnt even a debate...it was all canned questions. Imagine if she were actually speaking to the press almost daily, like a Presidential candidate does.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:10 AM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Powerline's single comment on the post-election Palin nonsense:

Quote:
I don't think we've commented on the anonymous trashing of Sarah Palin by unknown McCain campaign staffers. It's abhorrent, obviously, but I want to comment specifically on one aspect of the unsourced smear: the claim that Governor Palin didn't realize that Africa was a continent, but rather understood it to be a country.

This is a good example of a claim so ridiculous on its face that it requires a special kind of gullibility to believe it. It reminds me of a similar smear that was directed at Dan Quayle when he was Vice President: the assertion that he thought people speak Latin in Latin America. This line originated as a joke, but was later taken seriously and repeated as fact by many liberals. Who could be dumb enough to fall for the claim that Quayle, who had graduated from high school, college and law school, served in the U.S. Senate and as Vice President, somehow had remained ignorant of the facts that Latin is a dead language, and Latin Americans speak Spanish and Portuguese? I don't know, but I suspect some of the same people are now telling each other that Sarah Palin didn't know Africa is a continent. Which would mean, I suppose, that South Africa, Nigeria and Egypt are states. Or provinces, maybe.

Such gullibility stems from a willingness to believe anything bad about people with whom one disagrees or whom one dislikes. We saw the same phenomenon throughout the Bush administration, as the most absurd claims about President Bush were leveled, with apparent sincerity, by large numbers of liberals. It's a good lesson for us conservatives: let's not fall into the trap of believing everything we hear about Barack Obama and his associates, no matter how patently absurd, just because we disagree with their policies.
Heh.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:28 AM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I think W's re-election was more about a sitting President during wartime. You generally don't boot them out in the middle of it.

I think if W were allowed to run again this year, he would have been booted, though, so who knows about my theory.

The Palin base would have an even tougher time defending her incompetence if she were subjected to the scrutiny of a Presidential candidate. As it stands, they had a tough enough time defending an interview with Katie Couric and a prank call by some Canadian DJs. Her debate wasnt even a debate...it was all canned questions. Imagine if she were actually speaking to the press almost daily, like a Presidential candidate does.
When was Obama ever really subjected to the scrutiny of a Presidential candidate?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #24
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
When was Obama ever really subjected to the scrutiny of a Presidential candidate?
Well, by definition, he was talking to the press every single day. By comparison, McCain's camp refused to allow her to talk to any media in the wake of the Couric fiasco.

Presidential candidates cannot refuse to speak to the media for a week at a time. It would be campaign suicide.

As it turns out, allowing Palin to speak at all was campaign suicide.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, by definition, he was talking to the press every single day. By comparison, McCain's camp refused to allow her to talk to any media in the wake of the Couric fiasco.

Presidential candidates cannot refuse to speak to the media for a week at a time. It would be campaign suicide.

Obama was treated with kid gloves. I'm certain supporters of Obama will disagree, but when reporters, who vote more than ninety percent in favor of somebody, you don't believe he will receive favorable coverage.

Another example, Nixon had a horrible relationship with the press and was hounded constantly.

Clinton was hounded by the special prosecutor but not by the press.

Democrats receive better treatment as shown by some studies that Dems receive either consciously or subconsciously better treatment. It's likely to be that way for a long time, so Republicans don't need to kick against the pricks, but rather should find a way to combat it.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

In final weeks of the campaign, CBS News said Palin was the most accessible candidate; Joe Biden, the least.

And the WaPo's Ombudsmen acknowledged their biased news coverage.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #27
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Obama was treated with kid gloves. I'm certain supporters of Obama will disagree, but when reporters, who vote more than ninety percent in favor of somebody, you don't believe he will receive favorable coverage.

Another example, Nixon had a horrible relationship with the press and was hounded constantly.

Clinton was hounded by the special prosecutor but not by the press.

Democrats receive better treatment as shown by some studies that Dems receive either consciously or subconsciously better treatment. It's likely to be that way for a long time, so Republicans don't need to kick against the pricks, but rather should find a way to combat it.
Then you are basically proving my point. EPU brought up Obama, not me. He isnt relevant to this issue.

What is relevant is that if Palin were to run for President, she would definitely get hounded by the press daily, everyone looking for funny soundbites, malapropisms, or the like. She is not ready for that scrutiny. Perhaps in 4 years she will be more articulate, but doubtful, since the ability to schmooze is mostly innate, not learned behavior.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #28
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Perhaps in 4 years she will be more articulate, but doubtful, since the ability to schmooze is mostly innate, not learned behavior.
Well, she only has two years to prep, since we now run two-year presidential campaigns. She seems to schmooze pretty well (see debate appearance), but coherent extemporaneous discussion is clearly not something she's suited for.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Well, she only has two years to prep, since we now run two-year presidential campaigns. She seems to schmooze pretty well (see debate appearance), but coherent extemporaneous discussion is clearly not something she's suited for.
Who does Intrade have for 2032? I imagine it's some college student body president some where on the east coast.