cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #121
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Firstly, Mission Presidents and General Authorities are not paid. There is a clear distinction between allowance and paid, and it is more than symantics. That is why I considered what you wrote hurtful.
I don't think there is much of a distinction between an allowance and being paid. Either way, you get money. They church system is based on need/assignment. Once that is determined, they get more or less a set amount each month (like a salary). The difference between an allowance as the church uses it and a salary is marginal at best.

I don't have a problem with any of this either (and don't understand why you find it "hurtful"). They need money to live and the church gives it to them. Problem solved. In fact, I would argue that the SHOULD be paying mission presidents in order to make it possible for the non-wealthy to serve in that capacity. The church is seriously limiting the pool of mission president candidates by only having the wealthy available for selection.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #122
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I understand the difference between allowance and pay. Either way, they are receiving money based on their positions of being General Authorities. I don't consider this to be wrong. In fact, my father is a Bishop and I think he should get some sort of allowance. His calling truly is a hardship to him financially.

BlueHair, he wast just born about 100 years too late. Bishop and Stake President were both paid callings at the end of the 19th century. In fact, a Bishop got a share of the tithing revenue collected. The following is from Mormonism in Transition: A History of the Latter-Day Saints, 1890-1930 By Thomas G. Alexander, page 100:

Quote:
Local ecclesiatical officers were paid from tithing. Bishops, for instance, received 10 percent of tithing collected.

Last edited by pelagius; 02-12-2007 at 07:15 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #123
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
BlueHair, he wast just born about 100 years to late. Bishop and Stake President were both paid callings at the end of the 19th century. In fact, a Bishop got a share of the tithing revenue collected. The following is from Mormonism in Transition: A History of the Latter-Day Saints, 1890-1930 By Thomas G. Alexander, page 100:
Whoa!

I'd be the best tithe collector around with that motivation. Youza.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #124
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
"And if you don't like my priesthood authority, f.. off, because you all know you're just a bunch of f...ing apostate bastards."

I can hear it now. J. Golden, the Seventy, not the mythical Apostle, would be proud of Rocky profane use of the English language. Fire and brimstone with no possibility of redemption for anybody.

Maybe we could invent a writing of conference talks by our favorite Board Apostles.
I am pretty sure Rocky's talk would start off like this for a priesthood conference:

Dear sisters, for that is what all of you balls-less people are, the church loves you. And by you, I actually just mean the person I am pointing at in seat G-4. The rest of you are probably going to hell, making any further remarks unnecessary.

For some reason, his remarks would contain multiple consecutive commas when reprinted in the Ensign,,,,

Old 02-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #125
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am pretty sure Rocky's talk would start off like this for a priesthood conference:

Dear sisters, for that is what all of you balls-less people are, the church loves you. And by you, I actually just mean the person I am pointing at in seat G-4. The rest of you are probably going to hell, making any further remarks unnecessary.

For some reason, his remarks would contain multiple consecutive commas when reprinted in the Ensign,,,,
But he'd have to ask the person if that person were gay or not in advance. Now these are some sermons I might actually NOT wait to read online.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #126
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't think there is much of a distinction between an allowance and being paid. Either way, you get money. They church system is based on need/assignment. Once that is determined, they get more or less a set amount each month (like a salary). The difference between an allowance as the church uses it and a salary is marginal at best.

I don't have a problem with any of this either (and don't understand why you find it "hurtful"). They need money to live and the church gives it to them. Problem solved. In fact, I would argue that the SHOULD be paying mission presidents in order to make it possible for the non-wealthy to serve in that capacity. The church is seriously limiting the pool of mission president candidates by only having the wealthy available for selection.
My dad was retired for all of two months before getting nabbed as a mission president. I'm not sure wealth is as big a factor for serving as a mission president as it is someone that is already retired (although that isn't a concrete rule either).
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #127
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
My dad was retired for all of two months before getting nabbed as a mission president. I'm not sure wealth is as big a factor for serving as a mission president as it is someone that is already retired (although that isn't a concrete rule either).
They have to be able to pay their own way for 3 years. That pretty much requires you have some measure of wealth, especially if you are planning on keeping your home while you are gone.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #128
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
They have to be able to pay their own way for 3 years. That pretty much requires you have some measure of wealth, especially if you are planning on keeping your home while you are gone.
I'm virtually certain my dad didn't have to pay for living expenses (at least the cost of the mission home, utilities and travel expenses) during that time.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #129
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

LOL!! That is awesome.

Given my history of visits to the Bishops office far be it from me to tell someone whether they're going to hell or not.

It would be fun though.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #130
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm virtually certain my dad didn't have to pay for living expenses (at least the cost of the mission home, utilities and travel expenses) during that time.
He wouldn't have paid the cost of the mission home (the church owns the property), travel expenses (except for family travel) or utilities. He would have had to pay the cost of maintaining his home in the US and any other bills he had to pay from back home, and he would have had to do it all with no income. He also would have paid for all food while on the mission (and I believe all fuel consumption as well). If he wanted an additional vehicle on the mission (aside from the generally single church vehicle provided), he would have had to pay for that too.