cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default The Bible should be taught in school

The controversy over teaching the Bible in school really reveals profound ignorance on both right and left. In another incarnation I'd love to teach the Bible in school. The Bible should be taught in schools as much as the Iliad, the Aeneid, Beowulf and Gilgamesh should be taught in schools. It's a tragedy that it is not.

My courses on the Bible would bring it to life in the truest sense as the well spring of what we are, even our very language. I can even imagine (God forbid!) a course in which creationism and evolution are taught side by side--the Adam and Eve story and its significance and Darwin's lifelong journey and discoveries and the ultimate progress and mainstreaming of evolution.

What are secularists scared of?

The stupidity of both the Christian right and the secularists on this issue was brought home to me when I read a liberal's short hand list of bad things about Sarah Palin. One item was, "Favors teaching creationsim and evolution side by side in the schools." I thought, "Oh no! Not that! Please, someone take her out, that would be terrible!" (I try to be funny and snarky even when talking to myself, it's a bad habit.)

I tell you what, those kids wouldn't leave my class believing all Arabs are descended from Ishmael. Yes, my record of persuasion is pretty dismal here, but I figure kids are more impressionable. Anyway, my classes would be very popular with smart kids.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the one good thing I see coming out of this post is that SU realizes being a corporate lawyer who helps companies get past environmental regulations is probably a waste of his life.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The controversy over teaching the Bible in school really reveals profound ignorance on both right and left. In another incarnation I'd love to teach the Bible in school. The Bible should be taught in schools as much as the Iliad, the Aeneid, Beowulf and Gilgamesh should be taught in schools. It's a tragedy that it is not.

My courses on the Bible would bring it to life in the truest sense as the well spring of what we are, even our very language. I can even imagine (God forbid!) a course in which creationism and evolution are taught side by side--the Adam and Eve story and its significance and Darwin's lifelong journey and discoveries and the ultimate progress and mainstreaming of evolution.

What are secularists scared of?

The stupidity of both the Christian right and the secularists on this issue was brought home to me when I read a liberal's short hand list of bad things about Sarah Palin. One item was, "Favors teaching creationsim and evolution side by side in the schools." I thought, "Oh no! Not that! Please, someone take her out, that would be terrible!" (I try to be funny and snarky even when talking to myself, it's a bad habit.)

I tell you what, those kids wouldn't leave my class believing all Arabs are descended from Ishmael. Yes, my record of persuasion is pretty dismal here, but I figure kids are more impressionable. Anyway, my classes would be very popular with smart kids.
That was a funny post. Your record of persuasion line is still killing me.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
(I try to be funny and snarky even when talking to myself, it's a bad habit.)
Nice. Do you condescend to yourself, too? 'Cause that would be kind of entertaining to listen to.

We studied OT passages in my public high school, from a literary perspective. We also studied NT passages vs the corresponding text in the Quran in a comparative religion class. I don't remember any parents complaining.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
DNA

DNA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh great one, where do Arabs come from?
DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
DNA

DNA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
CAn't quite trust those parents to do what's best SU? I'm sure you could do a much better job than them. We'll make you grand poo bah.
DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Problem is, you probably envision creationism as being taught as an example of myth and its impact on culture, where she probably envisions it being taught as science or a righteous debunking of science.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Problem is, you probably envision creationism as being taught as an example of myth and its impact on culture, where she probably envisions it being taught as science or a righteous debunking of science.
Just curious ... do we have evidence this is what she envisions?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Just curious ... do we have evidence this is what she envisions?
No, just a hunch. But you may be right. She may in fact be an SU-style secularist masquerading as a frontier evangelical. You never know.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
She may in fact be an SU-style secularist masquerading as a frontier evangelical. You never know.
keehee
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote