cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Lotoja

I did not ride but I did provide support Saturday and here is some of my observations. Support had to take a different road then the riders for about the first 90 miles so I didn't see the whole course but I got some first hand reports.

The first 34 miles is from Logan to Preston and it is flat. I think a pack could roll along at 23-25 and warm up with no problem during this part.

The next 25 goes up. The grade is not real steep but the guys said it is never ending. I think a rider just wants to find a good rhythm during this climb and not fry his legs this early. I think the mistake the guy I was helping make was he went to hard here.

The next 21 is a nice downhill and recovery into Montpelier followed by some more up. This climb (15 miles up and down) is much shorter but a little steeper. No one was really bitching about this one but I think it was just because the next one was the killer.

Salt River Pass starts pretty gradual (10 miles worth) and then turns into a monster for the next 5 miles. This is the climb you will be working all summer on to conquer. At the top you are 110 miles into it and just barely over half way.

After some downhill the next 49 miles is pretty flat. The guys were fighting a strong side wind during this part. The wind normally blows out of the south but they were a little unlucky because it was out of the west Saturday.

At this point you are in Alpine (47 miles to go) and ready to head up the canyon to Jackson. Slight incline but really not to bad. At Jackson you head over to Teton Village and finish underneath the Tetons. Beautiful setting but at this point your neck may be so tired that so can't look up at the mountains to enjoy them.

Ten hours looks doable but 10 1/2 may be a little more realistic. It looks like an incredible challenge so get ready for it.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife took my bike into the shop when i was at the UCLA game this weekend... looks like the dong who was just to fixed my seat post cracked my frame. my FIL said it shouldn't affect the performance of my bike for a while, but eventually i'll need to get a new frame..

i'm pissed.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
My wife took my bike into the shop when i was at the UCLA game this weekend... looks like the dong who was just to fixed my seat post cracked my frame. my FIL said it shouldn't affect the performance of my bike for a while, but eventually i'll need to get a new frame..

i'm pissed.
Did a guy at the bike shop crack the frame? If so, they owe you a new frame. Don't stand for it.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Did a guy at the bike shop crack the frame? If so, they owe you a new frame. Don't stand for it.
It was Bingham Cyclery that stuff garbage down my frame pushing the seat wedge into the carbon fiber and cracking it... i'll go over to bingham cyclery tonight... the effers...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
It was Bingham Cyclery that stuff garbage down my frame pushing the seat wedge into the carbon fiber and cracking it... i'll go over to bingham cyclery tonight... the effers...
Don't despair, either the bike shop or the frame maker may have some sort of warranty.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Don't despair, either the bike shop or the frame maker may have some sort of warranty.
my wife took it to the bike shop i bought the bike from and they said the frame would cost 2k to replace. maybe they were just trying to swindle my woman?

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 09-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
my wife took it to the bike shop i bought the bike from and they said the frame would cost 2k to replace. maybe they were just trying to swindle my woman?
Probably.

Remind them how it got shattered. They were the ones at fault.

For example, Litespeed has a lifetime warranty on its frames.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:32 AM   #8
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey RC, how long would someone need to ride to accomplish LOTOJA?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:55 AM   #9
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Hey RC, how long would someone need to ride to accomplish LOTOJA?
If you race in the citizen class you have just over twelve hours to complete the ride. They start them at 8 am and ask that they stop riding when it becomes dark. That's a 17.1 average over two hundred miles and three long climbs. I hope to have a bare minimum of three thousand miles in my legs next summer by the time the race comes.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote