cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From reading the scrimmages my preseason outlook

has changed a bit.

I no longer think that Chris Miles is going to redshirt.

My guess is that as the season develops we are going to see Miles, Tavernari and Plaisted manning the 4 & 5 positions almost exclusively. Both MacGregor and Collinsworth will see some time in the preseason and probably spot time if there is foul trouble, but despite Trent not being a 4 his athleticism still makes him a threat on the fast break and offensive boards so I think he will play a great deal of 4 when Miles comes in to replace Tavernari. My guess is we see Tavernari and Plaisted each play about 28-30 mpg and Miles plays 20-24 mpg. Tavernari will be primarily a 4, Miles will be primarily a 5 and Plaisted will uhhhhhh "float."

Other than that it appears that BYU has a huge ? at pg and IMO we will see a platoon between Murdock and Morgan. It will depend upon matchups and who is playing well but I doubt either ever really grabs the position by the horns. I doubt Lloyd redshirts and he will be the 3rd pg. He will see time in preseason to acclimate him and mop up minutes once conference hits.

The wings will be Cummard and Burgess. Cummard will do the little things and continue to be BYU's best all around player and MVP, IMO. If anyone is going to play 30+ minutes I think it will be Lee, but that might exhaust him by late February as he is going to be BYU's best wing scorer and defend the opposing teams best perimeter player. Burgess sounds like he is taking that crucial leadership role where I think BYU is always best served with having a steady, older RM who lives and dies BYU in the game as long as he is not an enormous liability due to a lack of athleticism. Burgess will play tough d and use effort to compensate for his lack of athelticism. He will hit the open 3 on the offensive end and play within himself trying to not do too much and let the talented players lead the team in scoring. The backups will be Rose and Fredette. As shown Fredette is a natural scorer and Rose will improve as he better understands his role as a back up. Rose is probably the second best athlete on the wings after Cummard. I think he will improve as the season progresses, but I doubt he is ever a star.

Tavernari is BYU's #1 offensive go to guy. He has that attitude and toughness to get it done. I think the Cougs will make the dance again and they will finally get that elusive first round victory in.....2009.

These 9 will play significant minutes:
Murdock
Morgan
Cummard
Fredette
Burgess
Rose
Tavernari
Plaisted
Miles.

These 3 will play spot minutes due to foul trouble and or injuries:
Lloyd
Collinsworth
MacGregor
Old 10-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
has changed a bit.

I no longer think that Chris Miles is going to redshirt.

My guess is that as the season develops we are going to see Miles, Tavernari and Plaisted manning the 4 & 5 positions almost exclusively. Both MacGregor and Collinsworth will see some time in the preseason and probably spot time if there is foul trouble, but despite Trent not being a 4 his athleticism still makes him a threat on the fast break and offensive boards so I think he will play a great deal of 4 when Miles comes in to replace Tavernari. My guess is we see Tavernari and Plaisted each play about 28-30 mpg and Miles plays 20-24 mpg. Tavernari will be primarily a 4, Miles will be primarily a 5 and Plaisted will uhhhhhh "float."

Other than that it appears that BYU has a huge ? at pg and IMO we will see a platoon between Murdock and Morgan. It will depend upon matchups and who is playing well but I doubt either ever really grabs the position by the horns. I doubt Lloyd redshirts and he will be the 3rd pg. He will see time in preseason to acclimate him and mop up minutes once conference hits.

The wings will be Cummard and Burgess. Cummard will do the little things and continue to be BYU's best all around player and MVP, IMO. If anyone is going to play 30+ minutes I think it will be Lee, but that might exhaust him by late February as he is going to be BYU's best wing scorer and defend the opposing teams best perimeter player. Burgess sounds like he is taking that crucial leadership role where I think BYU is always best served with having a steady, older RM who lives and dies BYU in the game as long as he is not an enormous liability due to a lack of athleticism. Burgess will play tough d and use effort to compensate for his lack of athelticism. He will hit the open 3 on the offensive end and play within himself trying to not do too much and let the talented players lead the team in scoring. The backups will be Rose and Fredette. As shown Fredette is a natural scorer and Rose will improve as he better understands his role as a back up. Rose is probably the second best athlete on the wings after Cummard. I think he will improve as the season progresses, but I doubt he is ever a star.

Tavernari is BYU's #1 offensive go to guy. He has that attitude and toughness to get it done. I think the Cougs will make the dance again and they will finally get that elusive first round victory in.....2009.

These 9 will play significant minutes:
Murdock
Morgan
Cummard
Fredette
Burgess
Rose
Tavernari
Plaisted
Miles.

These 3 will play spot minutes due to foul trouble and or injuries:
Lloyd
Collinsworth
MacGregor

This is very close to how I feel, with a few minor exceptions.

I still think Plaisted is too good at the 5 or he has too much potential at the 5 to take him off the block. I doubt he and Miles will be on the court together for significant minutes.

Cummard, JT, and Plaisted will play as many minutes as foul trouble and conditioning allow.

Jimmer is too good to keep off the floor, and Rose will be the odd man out.

If a PG steps up, this team could be as good as last year, but I'm thinking it's very doubtful a PG steps up.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote