cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tim Send a message via MSN to Tim
Default Bad news on the graduation front...

I didn't pass my physics class (the one I was retaking). I missed the C- point by 1%. It was the second semester in a row I had taken the class, and from the same professor. First time I took it, I flat out failed.

I just went and talked to the professor. He gave me an assignment to study up on ray diagrams. Once I can prove to him that I understand how to correctly do ray diagrams, he'll raise my grade that 1%. He also gave me materials and all sorts of diagrams so that I could study.

I hate physics. I only took the class because my major required it. Something about physics just doesn't land well in my brain.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim

I hate physics. I only took the class because my major required it. Something about physics just doesn't land well in my brain.

Tim
School in general didn't land well with my brain, thus English was the major....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hang in there. WHen I was a freshman in college my roomate and I both took physics (or whatever they called it at BYU) and we both hated it and one could say the experience didn't land well. On the day of the final, we both looked at the exam and it was like looking at an alien langugae. My friend walked to the front fo the class (this was not in the testing center, it was in a cavernous classroom) and asked what would happen if someone simply didn't take the final. All eyes and ears were on him. The prof said "that person would receive an incoimplete which would then turn into a UW (unsatisfactory withdrawal)." My friend then asked "what would that do to my GPA?" THe prof said "It would count as an F until that person took the calss again." "And then?" my friend asked. "Then the two grades would be averaged." said the prof. Whereupon my frined handed the test to the prof and walked out the door. Feeling emboldened and deciding to trade a certain present F for a future chance at a C, I followed him out the door. 5 years later, after my mission and at a different university, I was frantically taking the same stupid physics course by correspondence school trying to make up the UW. I barely passed. Take advantage of the professor's chance and get past this thing.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tim Send a message via MSN to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Hang in there. WHen I was a freshman in college my roomate and I both took physics (or whatever they called it at BYU) and we both hated it and one could say the experience didn't land well. On the day of the final, we both looked at the exam and it was like looking at an alien langugae. My friend walked to the front fo the class (this was not in the testing center, it was in a cavernous classroom) and asked what would happen if someone simply didn't take the final. All eyes and ears were on him. The prof said "that person would receive an incoimplete which would then turn into a UW (unsatisfactory withdrawal)." My friend then asked "what would that do to my GPA?" THe prof said "It would count as an F until that person took the calss again." "And then?" my friend asked. "Then the two grades would be averaged." said the prof. Whereupon my frined handed the test to the prof and walked out the door. Feeling emboldened and deciding to trade a certain present F for a future chance at a C, I followed him out the door. 5 years later, after my mission and at a different university, I was frantically taking the same stupid physics course by correspondence school trying to make up the UW. I barely passed. Take advantage of the professor's chance and get past this thing.
Tonight I'm going to humble myself and ask a neighbor kid (19, about to go on a mission) who was in the class with me if he would help me. This is all that's keeping me from being a college grad.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:39 AM   #5
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

bummer Tim, but honestly, there is also good news there... the prof is being very very accomadating.. count yourself lucky!
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
School in general didn't land well with my brain, thus English was the major....
Amen brother. I spent a year and a half doing the pre-med thing, then another year and a half doing the business thing. Started taking comms classes then realized I only needs 20 credits more to graduate in English. One winter and spring semester later I had my degree.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember the test on IR and NMR graphs in organic chemistry, and I couldn't distinguish the little bumps to save my life. I couldn't read the differences of chemical bonds, because no matter how hard I looked, the tests never resembled the examples within the book. IT should have been easy, but it all looked the same to me.

Man, that was one miserable exam.

Or I remember the calculus work problems, where the high grade was a 35 taught by a Professor Fletcher of NASA fame. We had some people who scored a 0. I wasn't that dumb, I had a 20. Studying bikinis was more interesting than rates of flow and work problems. Man, scientists are smart people.

Hang in there Tim, take the good graces of the prof and move on.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

During finals and graduation week, I had a lot going on not just with school. The morning after I walked, I realized I turned in my final English paper without references. Oops. So there I was, Saturday morning, the day after graduation, in the multimedia center, preparing an addendum to email to my professor.

Unfortunately, my final grade reflected that I don't think he accepted it. Sigh.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote