cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #21
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
Their weights were taken the first day of camp. They are not inflated.
Don't a lot of guys lose weight during fall camp? It seems like they're lighter than their listed weights.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #22
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I have the opposite impression. I think now, more than ever, this team will make it through unscathed. Certainly not with 3 losses (assuming no major injuries).

I thought last year that BYU would be exploited often on the long ball and trick plays after Tulsa lit us up. It didn't happen. Hill is doing an outstanding job with what he has to work with. I was frustrated that we didn't have a spy on the 4th down play late in the game where Locker scrambled for the 1st, but overall Hill's defense did a serviceable job. They weren't great, but they got the job done, just like last year. We are much softer at LB than we were last year, and losing So'oto doesn't help at all, but the offense can cover much better this year too.

BYU tends to improve dramatically after the first few weeks in September. I think we will see BYU beat UCLA this Saturday, and the conversation will move back to BCS.
I like your optimism. And your arguments are fairly convincing. Don't get me wrong: I'm thrilled we beat Washington on the road. I don't care how bad they are; to beat a Pac-10 team on the road always makes me really happy. Right before kickoff, my buddies were talking about a big win and I said to them, "I'll be thrilled with a victory -- any victory." We are almost never going to have the overall athleticism of even a lower-tier Pac-10 team, so I am really happy with the win.

I'm not nearly as concerned about the secondary as I am about the linebackers. I don't think we'll get beat deep too many times because we're going to play off receivers so much. Washington had more speed at receiver than we'll probably face all year. But I keep having bad dreams of Kevin Craft, Brian Johnson, and Andy Dalton systematically dismantling our defense in the short zones and flats, where our linebackers continually fail to come off blocks against the run and take forever to cover the pass.

Back in the McMahon/Young/Detmer days I wouldn't have been so concerned because back then our average scoring drive was a 4-play, 75-yard throttling, but now, with a more ball-control approach, we're going to have a little harder time coming back from deficits. Then again, with our offensive studs, maybe not ...
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #23
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't the O-line one of UW's strengths? I doubt we face an O-line nearly as good all season. And that includes UCLA.

The DL will be more successful at putting pressure on the QB, and probably the LB's won't have as much problem shedding their blocks against a lesser OL. That will make the defense as a whole much better against anyone else.

I don't think the defense is really as bad as they looked on Saturday. I do think, however, that the offense IS as good as it looked.

I think we beat UCLA at home by 2 TD's.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #24
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
The middle linebackers are the problem with the defense right now. I didn't think Howard was as bad you, but a lot of terrible coverage looked like fear of Locker running and LB'ers not containing and the lack of respect for Locker throwing. It'll be interesting to see what happens this week with a QB that actually complete a pass and WR's who can hold on to the ball.

Fix the MLB'ers and the entire defense becomes much much stronger. Not sure if there is anyone on the roster right now that can do it though.
From where I was sitting in the stadium....not only was Howard that bad, he should've been pulled from the game. He was confused all game long and played terribly out of position. We are VERY lucky that Locker isn't that accurate or it would've been ugly on that side of the field. I never thought I'd admit to this, but Scott Johnson save a couple of plays played a rather decent game.

But Howard was painfully atrocious. He's my #1 disapointing player of the year so far. He's been pretty bad from the get go.

It's time to get G Pittman some reps.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #25
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I think we beat UCLA at home by 2 TD's.
Sounds about right.