cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ...

ill tell you why i dont post anything about it....

a. they are 17-18 year old kids....
b. the jc transfers are not sexy transfers....
c. of this class realistically very few of them will make real impacts on the program because of the missionary program and marriage....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Don't you find it a little ridiculous

That fans are already going at it over recruits, some of which won't even see the field until 2009 or 2010? I mean seriously...the board over there is almost unbearable to read. You can't go to either message board and find a decent discussion about recruiting because people are too busy throwing weak smack around...
Old 02-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you Drum, the other board is a complete joke right now. We will not know how the recruiting classes stack up for several years. As of right now as far as I am concerned the recruiting battle is a wash.

Scout has us ahead of you and Rivals has you ahead of us. and Espn has us both at the bottom of the MWC.

Recruiting is not an exact science. However I would like to know for curiousity sake what 9 players that we went head to head with Utah for, that you guys got. I will slightly follow those players career just to see what could have been.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

I would think, and of course KW is going to put his own spin on things...which doesn't make him stupid or a liar...that he took guys who BYU had a mild interest in or who had BYU on there list somewhere and considered it a head to head victory when it might not have been.

I think the more likely scenario like us with Jacobson or you guys with A'sasa (sp) is that there was interest at first, but then the school took themselves out of the running because they knew their resources would be best used elsewhere...and to "save face" so to speak so that we don't have to say "BYU beat us for him" likewise you don't have to say "Utah beat us for that guy"

The Y got 26 guys and the U got 25 and for some (Riley Nelson) we got out recruited by Utah St...does it really mean anything? No...not much, although Riley might not enjoy meeting some of the fellas that might have been is signing buddies on Utah's Defensive Line.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

As of now, I would say that Utah has the better recruiting class. There is some question whether Faifili and Wiley will qualify. If they lose those two I would give BYU the edge. The fact that BYU signed only one non-LDS recruit is telling. The last two scandals took there toll and will affect recruiting for years to come. It's amazing to me that BYU is able to recruit the caliber of player it does considering they have to tell 18 year old kids that not only will they not play in a BCS conference, but they will have to abstain from sex and drinking for the next four years. That's a tough sell.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

You do have to commend the nonLDS who come, given the restrictions that exist nowhere else.

Grateful for the few who make it, as they usually end up contributing in a significant way.

I would rate Utah's ahead, unless the two identified don't qualify.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

With the exception of the D Line, it should be noted that both really hit their need areas hard and recruited well for what they needed to improve upon this season.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Ranking recruiting classes of players who haven't seen a D-I field make almost less sense than a pre-season Top 25.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote