cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
1996: lots of recent HC embarassments including a gang bang, winning program, BOT thrilled

2004: lots of recent HC embarassments including a gang bang, losing program, BOT pissed
internet not widespread in 1996. Media people don't know what Jenkins did. what gang bang? omitted variable bias.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
ChinoCoug

agree
Old 11-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
internet not widespread in 1996. Media people don't know what Jenkins did. what gang bang? omitted variable bias.
It wasn't Jenkins. It was before Jenkins. All the media knew what happened. It was in the papers. Very similar to the gang bangs of this decade. Nobody threatened the program.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It wasn't Jenkins. It was before Jenkins. All the media knew what happened. It was in the papers. Very similar to the gang bangs of this decade. Nobody threatened the program.
It didn't make ESPN's radar. It was a local story. It was also probably viewed by the BofT as an isolated incident.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #15
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
True or false. I heard this from a fan.

He says in the past violations caused severe embarrassment, etc. Now it has become a strength of the team.

I had to bite my tongue and not mention all the recent HC violations that resulted in law enforcement involvement.

It's amazing what you can sell and buy these days.
As my pal napper and I have said for quite a while now, the man is a sure genius. He has the win, win, win crowd eating out of his hands. He has the, we build character here and hope to win along the way crowd eating out of the palm of his hands.

All I care is that he knows the character crowd won't save him if he loses games.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #16
ChinoCoug

Quote:
that I was a fan in California and I didn't hear about speaks to how trivial the matter appeared to be.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #17
jay santos

With or without the Honor Code, BYU will always be BYU. It will always be the church's school. Most sober college in the nation. Mormon do gooders in the bubble of Utah County. Mormon young adult mecca.

Without the Honor Code, we'll still have a squeaky clean program and be talked about in the national media as such.

Without the Honor Code, we might increase the level of non-LDS we can recruit. Instead of going up against San Jose State and New Mexico. We maybe could rival Arizona and Colorado or at least Utah and Boise State. (Non-LDS I'm talking)

Without the Honor Code, I highly doubt we would lose any decent recruit we're getting now.

Without the Honor Code, I guess it's possible in a real paranoid universe that the BOT would kill BYU athletic department. I really doubt it, though.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #18
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
that I was a fan in California and I didn't hear about speaks to how trivial the matter appeared to be.
You must not have been a fan or not paying attention. It was big time news. We lost I think six players from it. I remember the announcers at the bowl game discussing it, as we had guys in the secondary playing that were not even on the two deep.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Without the Honor Code, we'll still have a squeaky clean program and be talked about in the national media as such.
How in the world can you assert that?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #20
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
How in the world can you assert that?
Would the removal of the Honor Code at BYU change BYU from being the most sober school in the nation? Would BYU all of a sudden turn into a pot smoking hippie school?

Why would the removal of the Honor Code change BYU's football program that dramatically? We'd probably start going after more non-LDS and we might be more successful with that recruiting since they wouldn't have to stress about the possibility of getting booted for a minor mistake.

I don't see how that would change our rating on the morality index (real or perceived) that significantly. We'll still have a ton of RM's and married players and all that.