cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default #83 and #60?

I know some are spinning this saying the recruiting services ripped us off, but is this kind of ranking acceptable? By my count, we didn't land 50% of the top LDS even if you go down to about the top 15. Bronco's winning with Crowton recruits. His soundbytes about no stars and we're above recruting rankings aren't gonna cut it in four years if the talent level doesn't stay high.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on the parameters Bronco has to work under, I am more than happy with our ranking.

Look at what he is up against. Mid-major school. Mediocre schedule. Academic far higher requirements than school rates. Restrictive standards that even active LDS people don't agree with. Yea, he does a fantastic job.

I really didn't think with the emphasis on the schools requirements, he would be able to recruit as well as in the past. He has.

I applaud him for really laying it on the line with these kids. That is only fair to them. I feel sorry for any kid who comes to BYU thinking, they really didn't mean it.

The frustrating thing for Bronco has to be down the line the fans aren't going to be content with the schedule, conf. championships and the Vegas Bowl.

Look at the Ute fans. They were in a BCS bowl Are the fans still thrilled.

BYU could help him out a bit by getting into a BCS conf. but maybe that is just an impossibility.

Living right off and on the field is good, but it won't get you to the next level alone.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I know some are spinning this saying the recruiting services ripped us off, but is this kind of ranking acceptable? By my count, we didn't land 50% of the top LDS even if you go down to about the top 15. Bronco's winning with Crowton recruits. His soundbytes about no stars and we're above recruting rankings aren't gonna cut it in four years if the talent level doesn't stay high.
it is a tad concerning...we will see how Bronco is in player development. Recruiting without player development means shit.

The inverse is true as well but our hope now resides in how well Bronco can develop his average players. Is it good enough to maintain BYU's recent success? I hope so.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Based on the parameters Bronco has to work under, I am more than happy with our ranking.

Look at what he is up against. Mid-major school. Mediocre schedule. Academic far higher requirements than school rates. Restrictive standards that even active LDS people don't agree with. Yea, he does a fantastic job.

I really didn't think with the emphasis on the schools requirements, he would be able to recruit as well as in the past. He has.

I applaud him for really laying it on the line with these kids. That is only fair to them. I feel sorry for any kid who comes to BYU thinking, they really didn't mean it.

The frustrating thing for Bronco has to be down the line the fans aren't going to be content with the schedule, conf. championships and the Vegas Bowl.

Look at the Ute fans. They were in a BCS bowl Are the fans still thrilled.

BYU could help him out a bit by getting into a BCS conf. but maybe that is just an impossibility.

Living right off and on the field is good, but it won't get you to the next level alone.
Mediocre schedule = his own fault

Higher academic standards = not true, total lie

Restrictive standards = no more restrictive than they were under Lavell, arguably less restrictive. I don't think Ronney, Mahe, or Wesley get kicked out in today's environment.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Restrictive standards = no more restrictive than they were under Lavell, arguably less restrictive. I don't think Ronney, Mahe, or Wesley get kicked out in today's environment.
Bronco said yesterday based on his knowledge BYU has the highest academic admittance standards of all 119 D-1 teams.

Also to say Ronnye, Mahe or Wesley would not be kicked out is just being dumb. He suspended Ben Criddle for missing a workout. He suspended 4 freshman for staying out late and missing workouts. You dont think Reno Mahe getting a girl pregnant would be kicked out with todays standards? Ronny Jenkins committing multiple infractions? No doubt in my mind the standards are tougher now than they were even 5 years ago.

Also Bronco said yesterday that 16 of the 22 recruits who started last year were 1 or 0 star recruits. The other 6 starters averaged 2.26 stars which is worse than this recruiting class, yet we went 11-2.

Like I said before I am on board with Bronco, until he proves me wrong.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Bronco said yesterday based on his knowledge BYU has the highest academic admittance standards of all 119 D-1 teams.

Also to say Ronnye, Mahe or Wesley would not be kicked out is just being dumb. He suspended Ben Criddle for missing a workout. He suspended 4 freshman for staying out late and missing workouts. You dont think Reno Mahe getting a girl pregnant would be kicked out with todays standards? Ronny Jenkins committing multiple infractions? No doubt in my mind the standards are tougher now than they were even 5 years ago.

Also Bronco said yesterday that 16 of the 22 recruits who started last year were 1 or 0 star recruits. The other 6 starters averaged 2.26 stars which is worse than this recruiting class, yet we went 11-2.

I think he is mistaken on the hardest academic requirements.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
BYU71

Quote:

It is his fault on the schedule? He might be responsible for not having one more good team on the schedule, still would be mediocre.

Academic standards. OK, what schools have the same high stds we have we recruit against. Schools that don't have a better academic standing in the perception of non-mormons.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
jay santos

Quote:

On academics: it's a lie. Bronco said so himself a couple recruits are in danger of not getting qualified. The danger is not qualifying for BYU it's for qualifying for NCAA. We don't deny anyone who can pass NCAA minimums. It's bullcrap and I'm not sure how this lie is being perpetuated when every year we accept a guy or two that don't qualify for NCAA minimum.

I believe Mahe is the last athlete to be kicked out of BYU for nothing more than normal male to female relations not involving group participation. I'm pretty sure it's happened at least a couple times over the last 8 or 9 years.

I'm also on board with Bronco. I'm just not really stoked about a #60-80ish recruiting class. I don't care what the stars were for this year's recruits, over time if we're continually #60-#80 we won't remain competitive.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #9
BYU71

Quote:
On academics: it's a lie. Bronco said so himself a couple recruits are in danger of not getting qualified. The danger is not qualifying for BYU it's for qualifying for NCAA. We don't deny anyone who can pass NCAA minimums. It's bullcrap and I'm not sure how this lie is being perpetuated when every year we accept a guy or two that don't qualify for NCAA minimum.

I believe Mahe is the last athlete to be kicked out of BYU for nothing more than normal male to female relations not involving group participation. I'm pretty sure it's happened at least a couple times over the last 8 or 9 years.

I'm also on board with Bronco. I'm just not really stoked about a #60-80ish recruiting class. I don't care what the stars were for this year's recruits, over time if we're continually #60-#80 we won't remain competitive.
So the stories about the Utes getting kids we don't even recruit because of academics is a lie. Filiaga choosing the U because of academics was a lie? If it is a lie, it is one that has good footing amongst fans.

This isn't football, but I have never heard of a kid getting expelled for church attendance at BYU before. I will also bet the rules at BYU are laid out in much more detail than ever before. I have also never heard the number of missionaries in the program ever mentioned so often in prior coaching regimes.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:

If BYU wants a player they will take him at the minimum academic standards like any other school in the NCAA.

Last edited by mpfunk; 02-08-2008 at 12:13 AM.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote