cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road
Default "The Other" Tonga working his way back

Apparently the good folks at TBS are reporting Tonga is pretty much going to be back, donning the blue & white for the cougars this fall.

Obviously, he provides much-needed depth to the team, and having him & Russell T both on the line makes me think MUCH more favorably about having a few 4-3 sets installed for this year...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Apparently the good folks at TBS are reporting Tonga is pretty much going to be back, donning the blue & white for the cougars this fall.

Obviously, he provides much-needed depth to the team, and having him & Russell T both on the line makes me think MUCH more favorably about having a few 4-3 sets installed for this year...
He is waaaaaay out of shape. He won't do much this year IMHO.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

If, and I say If in the terms of, I will believe it when I see it. He will be backing up RT at nose guard but once again I will believe it when I see it.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

The thing about Tonga is that he's just a huge dude. He's like Ofa in that he is incredibly big and physically gifted. Whether or not he turns out to be a great football player remains to be seen, but I wouldn't dismiss him for being out of shape. He's just a really big. When he played a couple years ago, he was listed at roughly the same size as Paongo, but when you saw them in person, you'd think Tonga weighed 50 lbs more.

I'm skeptical that he'll be back this year, if ever, but I don't think physical condition will be a problem.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
I don't think physical condition will be a problem.
Especially for a down or 2 at a time.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:24 AM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

If he comes back he'll redshirt.

He's major out of shape.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:36 AM   #7
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
If he comes back he'll redshirt.

He's major out of shape.
I think last year will count as his redshirt. He started his clock and it only stops if he goes on mission or enters the service so I am pretty sure that last year will be considered his redshirt year.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:23 AM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
I think last year will count as his redshirt. He started his clock and it only stops if he goes on mission or enters the service so I am pretty sure that last year will be considered his redshirt year.
Ah...well he better get in shape in a hurry then, lol.

Cause as of now he'd be behind Hola and Tialavea at D-Tackle. Probably Afutiti as well, if that's where they line him up,,,,well and if he qualifies and shows up.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Spaz

I have no input on his in-shapetitudeness. If he's out of shape, he'll surely be down the depth charts, but like I said, will add some nice depth.

I believe he'll have 3 to play 3, so a RS year isn't an option.

I don't have any personal insights into the likelihood of his return. Just a second-hand reference made by someone on TBS, citing Talo.

Quote:
Talo reported in the D roundup that he'd spoken (I think) with Matangi himself and that he's got things lined up to get back. I've since heard from a couple of other sources that it seems like it's nearly a done deal - that it amounts, at this point, to Matangi not messing anything up and then he'll be back in the fall.
Take it for what it's worth...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Spaz

Also, FWIW, Talo reports Tonga "looks large but not out of shape".

He's clearly exceptionally talented, and once in shape could definitely provide some top-shelf DT play...