cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Bauman, Doman and Ah You are listed, respectively, at 232, 232, and 227 pounds in the media guide. I think those weights are each inflated by about 10 pounds. And whatever they say their 40 times are, you can go ahead and add another 2-tenths. We have small, slow linebackers who are going to struggle all year.
I followed Bauman a little when he was at Skyline (I coached at a rival school), and he did the end of his mission in my ward in PA. I'd be amazed if he's really 230+ now. Good kid, though, and I like how he plays.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Middle LBs in particular and LBs in general could not come off any blocks.

Yeah, I did get a kick out of Fui. Esp. the one I noticed where he blocked a guy, then ran over and blocked another guy.

I'm glad that Fui goes after that role with gusto. He's more likely to be in the NFL as a blocking back, than a RB, and this is his opportunity to demonstrate that.
I loved that play. He blew the first guy up, then cracked the second guy. I also loved watching Unga's TD run where Unga grabbed onto Fui's jersey and followed him. The guy Fui blocked got thrown out of the screen.

Fui had a sensational game. I was thrilled he got a TD and that Bronco singled him out for praise. This could be the Fui of old I have been waiting to see for 2 years now. I think the beast is back!
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Bauman, Doman and Ah You are listed, respectively, at 232, 232, and 227 pounds in the media guide. I think those weights are each inflated by about 10 pounds. And whatever they say their 40 times are, you can go ahead and add another 2-tenths. We have small, slow linebackers who are going to struggle all year.

I think it might be time to bring in the younger, more athletic DB's, too, but I doubt Bronco will make any rash decisions on that front. He'll wait until they are clearly more consistent in practice than the current starters before he throws them out there.

Before the season, I figured we would probably lose one game (either vs. UCLA, Utah, or TCU). Now I think we'll lose two or three -- and maybe one of them will be against a team like Air Force or New Mexico. Our defense is going to get better, but we aren't going to get THAT much better. I will be very happy with a two- or three-loss season. With a struggling defense, that's probably the best we can hope for and I'll take it.
I have the opposite impression. I think now, more than ever, this team will make it through unscathed. Certainly not with 3 losses (assuming no major injuries).

I thought last year that BYU would be exploited often on the long ball and trick plays after Tulsa lit us up. It didn't happen. Hill is doing an outstanding job with what he has to work with. I was frustrated that we didn't have a spy on the 4th down play late in the game where Locker scrambled for the 1st, but overall Hill's defense did a serviceable job. They weren't great, but they got the job done, just like last year. We are much softer at LB than we were last year, and losing So'oto doesn't help at all, but the offense can cover much better this year too.

BYU tends to improve dramatically after the first few weeks in September. I think we will see BYU beat UCLA this Saturday, and the conversation will move back to BCS.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #14
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I have the opposite impression. I think now, more than ever, this team will make it through unscathed. Certainly not with 3 losses (assuming no major injuries).

I thought last year that BYU would be exploited often on the long ball and trick plays after Tulsa lit us up. It didn't happen. Hill is doing an outstanding job with what he has to work with. I was frustrated that we didn't have a spy on the 4th down play late in the game where Locker scrambled for the 1st, but overall Hill's defense did a serviceable job. They weren't great, but they got the job done, just like last year. We are much softer at LB than we were last year, and losing So'oto doesn't help at all, but the offense can cover much better this year too.

BYU tends to improve dramatically after the first few weeks in September. I think we will see BYU beat UCLA this Saturday, and the conversation will move back to BCS.
I'll say it again: these WR's were fast. If anyone watched Oregon game, Oregon had trouble staying with them too. And to say that if Locker had a better arm or if they could catch the ball, we'd lose, is equivalent to saying if UW were better, we'd lose. Not very profound.

I'm with Cali on this--our D played well. A few breakdowns, but we overcame some really bad luck and won on the road. No shame there and I think we'll beat UCLA handily. Craft is not the threat that Locker was.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I'll say it again: these WR's were fast. If anyone watched Oregon game, Oregon had trouble staying with them too. And to say that if Locker had a better arm or if they could catch the ball, we'd lose, is equivalent to saying if UW were better, we'd lose. Not very profound.

I'm with Cali on this--our D played well. A few breakdowns, but we overcame some really bad luck and won on the road. No shame there and I think we'll beat UCLA handily. Craft is not the threat that Locker was.
The difference however is the fact that UCLA has twice the defense that UW has. I would say that overall they have a better offense as well. This will be a tough test for us.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #16
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
The difference however is the fact that UCLA has twice the defense that UW has. I would say that overall they have a better offense as well. This will be a tough test for us.
You're obviously right about the defense. About the offense, I'm not so sure UCLA will be tougher. We've never handled good, mobile QBs well, and Locker was among the best of them. UCLA may be better overall, but UW really attacks our glaring weakness. I'll put fast receivers in our list of weaknesses, but UW had that as well.

I'm really not sold on Craft. He looked SO bad in the first half. While he looked better the second half, he just strikes me as mentally fragile. When they were interviewing him after the game, I felt like I was listening to a high school girl. I think the extra week off of his solid half won't do him any favors.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #17
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bauman, Doman and Ah You are listed, respectively, at 232, 232, and 227 pounds in the media guide. I think those weights are each inflated by about 10 pounds. .
Their weights were taken the first day of camp. They are not inflated.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #18
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Whoa.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
The middle linebackers are the problem with the defense right now. I didn't think Howard was as bad you, but a lot of terrible coverage looked like fear of Locker running and LB'ers not containing and the lack of respect for Locker throwing. It'll be interesting to see what happens this week with a QB that actually complete a pass and WR's who can hold on to the ball.

Fix the MLB'ers and the entire defense becomes much much stronger. Not sure if there is anyone on the roster right now that can do it though.
i thought our LB's (per almost every Coug fan and Bronco) were as good as last year and we had depth.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #19
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default What surprised me was how far off

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
1. David Nixon played like a man possessed and had an unbelievable game, I dont think he is getting the credit he deserves for how good he actually is.

2. Scott Johnson did a great job making open field tackles, but I still think his cover skills are suspect (minus the nice play in the endzone) I wouldnt mind seeing Johnson take over Tafunas spot at safety and Bradley or Pittman play the corner spot.

3. Brandon Howard really struggled, he was beat deep on several occassions had it not been for overthrows it could have been bad. He was trailing guys by 5 steps on plays, the one play he was in a position to make he let the receiver box him out and didnt even make a play on the ball.

4. The middle backers were awful, Bauman, Doman and Ah You all struggled and overall did not play a good game.

5. Offensive line- was unbelievable (minus the low snaps to start the game) Hall had all day to throw the ball.

6. Fui- the unsung hero of the game, he was absolutely blowing people up, go back and rewatch the game and just focus on Fui, it is crazy how well he played.

7. Harvey ran hard, showed great footwork and proved that he is the best back in the conference. The fumble he admitted he needed to take himself out, eh said he could barely breathe but he wanted the touchdown bad so he stayed in the game.

8. Pitta best tight end in the conference if not the country.

9. Hall another solid game, can make all the throws, and is very poised.

Overall I am excited to see how we do against UCLA, they have two of the best D-tackles in the country so our O-line will have their hands full.
we were playing their WR's and they still got behind us. Who said our DB's are an improvement over last year?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #20
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
We are much softer at LB than we were last year, and losing So'oto doesn't help at all,
I heard Hooks was practicing. Any chance we see him hit the field in the next few games?
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote